Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Birdland!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by olps, Apr 18, 2002.

1. olps

olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Canada
    I'm thinking of playing birdland with some friends. Would this sound good on a fretted bass? Also, is there anything I should know (i.e. any effects that are used and what not)? Thanks so much.

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If you want to play it, play it. If you don't have a fretless, who cares? I've played it on both fretted and fretless, and I've even heard it done (well) on tuba. Playing *the tune* well is more important than the specific instrument. Play good notes with good time, tone, and feel, and the rest is gravy.

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Ever heard the version Manhattan Transfer did, with lyrics: "Bird made, Bird played, way down in Birdland."

They should be shot. A lot.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I actually think that the articial harmonics bit at the beginning is easier to play on fretted bass and I know that Jaco used a fretted bass on a lot of gigs with WR - but as has been mentioned - you don't have to play it exactly as a particular recording.

Weather Report played it differently live, to in the studio - Jaco plays more of a walking bass line on 8.30.

I would love to do a version with all horns taking the place of Zawinul's synths or even hear such a version!

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I used to do that one in high school jazz band. There's no reason why it can't sound good on a fretted bass. I don't know whether any effects were used on the original recording, but why not just play it your way?

6. I prefer my fretted bass for "Birdland". Do a search for "Birdland" (here in the forums) and you'll find some tips - mostly dealing with the false harmonic intro.

Bruce - some months ago, when I posted the question re: harmonic volume, it was because I was asked to play the bass for "Birdland" with a 'horn band' - drums - 2 trombones - 2 tumpets. It sounded great! We're doing it again in early May - I'll try and record it for you.