Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

birdseye board is the bomb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Oct 16, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Lately this F bass has been getting a lot of use, it's a BN5 with a spalted top and a birdseye board. That birdseye board is the absolute bomb for slappin', it has a perfect bounciness that responds easily to the touch and is rich in nuances. It feels ever-so-slightly more comfortable than an ordinary maple board (been playin' a couple of those too, one of which is a GFC - the "P bass of F basses"). Why that is I don't know, maybe the knottiness gives the wood some slightly different properties? Anyway, it works real good. :D

2. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Where ya been?

Birdseye is definetly killer looking & sounding, a win/win situation.

What type of board is on your ash necked MTD?

~S~

3. Yeah!

Killer looking! sounding I'll see!

Vince

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Yeah, im loving birdseye maple boards at the moment. Theyre really responsive for hammerons, pulloffs, tapping, two handed tapping, almost any kind of 'percussive' fretboard work.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I don't know how much it effects the tone and playablility...

I just think it's damn sexy
    [​IMG]

mine is stabilized by Larry @ Galleryhardwoods.com I won't have an other bass built without his treated wood as the fingerboard! The Stuff feels and looks killer

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Let's see, other birdseye basses include the new Mike Lull P5, which has a nice fat feel to it, kinda like the old P-bassy thing, where you could dig in to get the best sound. The MTD is plain ol' maple, as is the Roscoe. It's going in for the Plek computerized setup next week, that would be the last of my fretted basses that hasn't had it yet (except the big Alembic, which is fine the way it is). Mostly in the past I've done the traditional darker board woods, like rosewood and ebony and so on, they're fine too, especially for fretless instruments. But lately I've been enjoying the maple, and the birdseye has an especially nice bouncy feel to it. Certain strings sounds good with it too. The Plek thing is pretty amazing, now that we've done it a few times we've built up a template that fits my hand, and the computer can set it up so the strings are already "in the zone" and all I have to do is fine tune the saddles. Technology is a wonderful thing. :D

8. Hell Yes,,

This is my Shuker Elite Bolt-om (2 weeks yay)...YUMmiE...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is a GB Standard V....best colour combination ever...!!!

[​IMG]

GB Rumor..!!!..Oh yes,,!!

[​IMG]

Mmmmm MmM Sexy...

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Brad,

You got THE badest board in the bunch...

~S~

11. MohawkHarry

MohawkHarry

May 21, 2000
    Chatham,IL
    Wouldn't that look killer on a Spector?

12. How 'bout a birdseye fretboard and top. Love this wood! :D

I agree with nonsqtr, it does add a nice percussive quality with the 'board. Just a damn nice wood to look at too!
    [​IMG]

13. birdseye is my favorite fingerbaord wood :bassist:

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Thanks.
    :hyper:

15. This is one of solidist birdseye board in my life..
    You know what kind of bass it is..