Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Birdseye Maple anyone? or....re: you aint seen nothing yet

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Fila, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    As promised a couple of pics for my new creation...Birdseye maple on birdseye maple over hardash.

Attached Files:

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It is looking right at me with those eyes :D , very nice. How is the weight with the Hard Ash and what kind of guts are you putting in it?. :)

3. Rapscallion2112

Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004
    Detroit
    looks nice man...cant wait to see it finished

4. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    The body was 7lb 5oz before being routed for the pups, so maybe a little less than that. Most of my basses are 10-11 lbs (I bought a postal scale! My Fender jazz is like 9lb7oz and feels like a light weight)i also had it route for string through...that should take off 2.5 to 3 lbs, right? :D :p
    I'll probably put in my usual bart pups and aggy OBP-3, but I was thinking of putting in the Sadowsky stuff. What say you?

Attached Files:

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    what say I? Do what you like ;)

6. MAJOR METAL

You cant go wrong with Sadowsky Electronics or anything Sadowsky for that matter :D .

7. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Thats what I figured.
    BTW, thanks for asking in reference to your sadowsky, but I prefer 4 strings (I have 2 5ers already also).

8. MAJOR METAL

No Problem :) , are both neck and body Warmoth?.I read around here that using a USA Custom Neck will cut down on the weight.

9. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Yes they both are Warmoth. I would have used one of my Usa necks on it, but I really dig the the binding match up on both pieces and the blocks on the neck. I think it matches nicely. The USA necks are about 8oz lighter.

10. MAJOR METAL

Is the birdseye cheeper then flame or quilt maple?. Hows the bass comming?.

11. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Pricing was about the same. I just gotta put the guts in. waiting for my OBP3 to come in. Sounds great so far! Bright but strong lows, thanks for asking.