1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Birdsong basses. Why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by waseok, Mar 14, 2008.

1. I was looking at their web page and saw many basses that had knots in the wood, though they were finished with oil (natural).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's the site:
    http://www.birdsongguitars.com/newsarchive.htm

Do u think this is cool? it looks very weird and un-professional..
    And they look like a combination of a Yamaha RBX series with an Old ibanez style headstock.
    Any of u play them? :)

2. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    It's called character! Hey and talking about unprofessional did you check the neck out in that picture? Must be a headless fretless option.:D

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    some people like the aesthetic of natural wood artifacts like that. there are quite a few folks here who play birdsong instruments - ben (ctbass&birdsong) has a bunch of real nice ones.

as far as the body shape, i've seen many shapes from birdsong. i really don't see the rbx comparison in that one though.

4. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Yeah, I think the "natural-ness", knots and all, goes hand in hand with the Birdsong philosophy. I kind of like the appearance. IMO, it certainly doesn't look any worse than some of the spalted tops that are being produced.

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Oh, you gonna get some responses here. Do a search for Birdsong bass here fro more info.

I personally would like the one in the picture. Birdsong has a very "earthy" philosophy about building basses, and that is raw beauty from nature.

They are excellent custom made basses. I had once shortly and it wasn't for me; I though the body was too small for comfort, but I though the quality was A1, and the owners of the shop treat you like you are a star.

6. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    :D That's the extra, extra short scale unlined fretless.

7. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I guess some might like that, but to me, its offensive. If it's knotty pine is one thing, needs more of them to balance the look, but to me, it looks like a huge ulcer on the bass. Knots are considered an imperfection to most (unless it's knotty pine)

Some healing ointment might help?

Other than that I love their basses. I would love to get one. He really carved out a unique niche and they are very intriguing to me in many ways.

8. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Birdsong makes amazing instruments :bassist:

9. well to each his own, and you can buy the "un-knotty, non-ulcerated" version. :smug:

end of conversation...

10. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I think there is a fine line from a "craft fair" bass to a (Alembic, Wal, Ken Smith).

If you look at the gallery he has built some more exotic wood boutique looking basses, which, to me is a better direction along with his simple plain grain Mahogany basses.

That's just my opinion.

Again I do think he makes well built basses.

11. Barkless Dog, you need to observe the holiday that is today. Really. ;)
    I bumped into a guy in a GC carrying one of these. He LOVED it, I checked it out & while it is not my cup of tea(I'm strictly a 34" guy)it was very nicely made. It would compare favorably(perhaps equally)w/Ken Smith for fit & finish.

12. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    I kind of like it, makes it look interesting.

13. crkempton

crkempton

May 30, 2006
    Utah
    i like the look

14. Blackbd

Blackbd

Feb 24, 2008
    Nashville
    I ordered a birdsong two weeks ago and I happen to love the way they look. They have a lot of wood options, staining options, hardware options...etc. and while they are not really a "custom shop" they can do tons of things to make your bass unique and aesthetically pleasing. The short scale may be off-putting to some but that is their corner of the market and they excel at it. They produce great-playing, works of art by hand and invest a great deal of time in creating your instrument. I like that a lot better than someone pushing buttons at a Fender plant and pumping out 500 jazz basses a day.
    They are different, and thus not for everyone. Which is just as well, I don't want a flood of orders to delay my bass.

15. I am not a fan of the knot, but i guess if that's your thing--personally, i'd lower the price of the ones with knots :)

16. jamfree

jamfree

Nov 10, 2005
    That bass is awesome.

17. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    Cool - come find us over in the Birdsong club if you're interested (if not, know that you're always welcome). What number and options are you going with?

"Excel at it" is putting it mildly. I'm not going back to 34" if I can help it. It's a fun "niche" to be in.

18. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    From what I've heard of them, I want one... short scale...

And if they're good enough for a guy who has owned 50+ basses - and I think his favorite, they must be good.

19. Ozonbass

Ozonbass Gold Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Chicago
    If you check on the website, you'll find some basses with "knotholes" that have been filled with various materials. Contrasting wood dusts, crushed turquoise,....gives them a pretty unique look.

20. No different from other various flame, spalt, burl, etc. I like stuff like that. It makes every bass that much more unique. I'm not the type of guy who wants to have the same bass as everyone else.