1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Birdsong Bbox

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scotch, May 29, 2007.

1. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I just recieved this little guy in the mail. I saw another TB'er with one & had to try one out for myself.

[​IMG]

Basically, it's just a passive tone control in a nice hardwood box. While that may sound pretty boring - man this thing is great!!!

We all know how limiting the typical passive tone control can be (treble attenuation). While the old-school tone knob certainly works, there is a lot more going on inside the Bbox.

There are 4 or 5 different capacitators as well as a tiny transformer inside (along with the funky 6-way rotary switch). The transformer reminds me of the switchable "thump" circuit in old Gibson Hollowbodies. The wooden case is flawlessly constructed with a full copper shielding job.

[​IMG]

The sounds are anything but straight-forward. The first setting is just the bypassed instrument-only tone. The next 5 are all different shades from treble reduction, to big pillowy texture, to gritty compressed flavors.

I was a little concerned that it would just be different degrees of tone roll-off. But that is far from what the box actually does. (A previous TB'er posted some sound files, which were great, but I'm not sure they did the box justice.)

I can't wait for my next session to use the Bbox. It really does create some cool, funky changes to your sound!

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    nice!
    http://[malware url removed].net/vicious-smiley-1815.gif

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Interesting! Thanks for sharing. :)

4. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Jetpack, I checked out yer' MySpace. While the genre may not be my everyday cup-of-tea - the bass sounds are INCREDIBLE! I do dig the punk conviction. I'll hope I can see your "act" sometime. :)

5. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    wait.... are you talking about Big Business's myspace page (the link in my signature), or the Jet Pack Johnny myspace page?

if you're talking about the Big Business one, then i agree: the bass sounds are INCREDIBLE! :bassist:
    if you're talking about the Jet Pack Johnny one, then thanks! much appreciated! :bassist:

6. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Yeah, it was the Big Business site.

7. That wasn't his band :p

8. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    but i AM right: listening to BIG BUSINESS is good for you! they're one of my favorite bands. :bassist:
    the band i'm in is a little too "poprock" to incorporate such a huge sound. plus, the guitarist is a tonemeister who takes up a big chunk of the sonic spectrum. it would just sound muddy. BIG BUSINESS is just a bassist and a drummer (with some little melodic guitar lines peppered in to the mix), so Jared (the bassist) needs to fill up all the space.

9. I just listened to them... I must say, they are rather good. I also really like that bass tone, sounds huge!

10. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    The box basically contains a version of the old varitone circuit (as found on some older gibson basses and guitars.)

I actually have a birdsong bass on order (been waiting since umm.. septemeber) that is due up in the next month. It will have one of these built in. Thanks for getting me all excited again!

11. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Yeah, it looks a lot like that set up. The caps look beefier in the Birdsong circuit, but that's the same idea!

I need to try the Bbox with a guitar next.

12. Akeris

Akeris

Jul 23, 2006
    New Jersey
    Wow.

This accually looks pretty awesome.

Question: I know it's sole purpose in life is to alter your tone...but like, does it retain some character of your bass? LIke a Jazz or P or Rick through it, does it sound like the pedal or like that bass mutated?

Tanks,
    -Chris

13. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    "Gritty"? Like it's loading/shorting/choking the pickups?

Passive bass? I'll bet this is another which we'll be saying "works best with passives".

Joe

14. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA

Good question. Passive circuits (like the Bbox) are generally better at preserving your instruments natural nuances. (In my experience)

Absolutley, the Bbox lets your instruments "natural" character through. A couple of the extreme settings ( 5th & 6th position) do color the sound a lot, however. I find the first 3 "effected" positions to be the most transparent & usuable. The more extreme settings are more intriguing sounding for, perhaps, a more unique sound.

I will say that, after more thorough testing, the Bbox reacts better to passive electronics. While it still works fine with my active basses, the tonal differences are much more subtle when fed by an active preamp. Some might argue that it is sort of redundant to use such a device on an instrument with a built-in preamp to begin with. I can see either argument.

I hope that helps.

On a side note: It appears that the Bbox is a modified Gibson Varitone circuit. Interestingly, you can get custom made Varitone circuits from some other vendors - but they are a little more expensive and don't come with the handcrafted enclosure. I guess that makes the Bbox a bargain, although $95.00 for a tone control is definitely in the "boutique" realm. I'd still consider it money well spent. Of course, $95 can get a decent bottle of Scotch.........;)

15. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA

You beat me to the post on the passive/active question! (see above)

As to the gritty description, I do believe it is loading the pickup. Not so much shorting, but the last two settings definitely seem to load the pickup. It's not a bad sound, but there is some noticeable compression and clipping resulting in a small amount of volume loss.

16. I'm intrigued, and would love to hear your Bbox in action (nudge, nudge...).

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021