1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Birdsong Cortobass, mahogany 2010 model with several upgrades

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by funkyjudge, Aug 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funkyjudge

funkyjudge Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    I bought this bass late last year from the following thread ....

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/birdsong-cortobass-upgrades-fs-only-819349/

It is a really sweet-sounding and great-playing bass, but I have two short-scale Birdsongs (I had the second one custom-built for my Birthday six months ago). I have decided to reduce my bass inventory to one short-scale (my new walnut Birdsong Double Fusion), one or two long-scale fours, and an active five-string, so this -- and about four other basses -- must go!

In addition to what is written about it in the earlier for sale thread, I will add the following:

• The bass actually weighs a bit less than 7.6 lbs. (I get about 7 lb, 9 oz. with a strap on it).
    • It has a really full, deep tone, and it seems to love flatwound strings (I have Thomastik-Infeld Short Scale Jazz Flats on it, but I will include a set of LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass short scale ROUNDWOUNDS, if you prefer the rounds).
    • It is a pleasure to play, and the back of the neck has a great broken-in smoothness to it. I spoke with Scott Beckwith at Birdsong right after I got this bass and he told me that the best way to keep the back of the neck smooth and ultra-playable is an OCCASIONAL light cleaning using 0000 steel wool, followed by a light coat of clear non-petroleum paste wax (bowling alley wax is best).

As you can see from the original listing, this bass listed for more than $2,200 new (Scott told me that he would charge more than $2,450 today with the rear routing, gold hardware, and face dots on the fretboard). I paid juist a hair less than the $1,550 that was being asked last year, and I will sell it for $1,400 + actual shipping costs.

Here's the first of some recent pic's that I took of this bass ....

Attached Files:

2. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    A couple of pic's of the bass in its case

Attached Files:

3. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Headstock and Birdsong Build Sheet ....

Attached Files:

4. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    Great bass! Good luck with the sale. Hope your Fusion is treating you well.

5. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Thanks, Joe ... The Fusion is treating me very well!

6. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Need to sell ... I just have too many basses, and not enough money to support all of them!

7. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    .... but I'm bumping this bass just in case the deal falls through!

8. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Good luck with the sale bump.

How do you like the flats on the Cortobass?

9. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    I think that flatwound strings are a perfect match for either the Cortobass or the Birdsong Double Fusion that I have! The T-I Jazz Flats have become my favorite flats, too, in spite of their high price point.

10. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thanks. I use TI Jazz Flats on all my other basses and love them (Warwick Thumb, Rick 4003 and Fender Jazz) Does switching from rounds require any truss adjustment due to lower tension and are you using thru body or bridge?

11. A fantastic price at a fantastic bass !!!! :eek: this is a great bargain !!!!!!!:bassist:

12. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    Just working-out the details; looks to be sold!

13. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA

When I first installed the TI Flats, I did have to add a bit of tension (or tighten) the truss rod just slightly to compensate for the lower string tension. My Birdsong Double Fusion came from the "factory" (or workshop, if you prefer) with flats on it, as these are Scott Beckwith's strings of choice on his basses.

By the way, I have it strung with the strings through the body.

14. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thanks. And congratulations on your sale.

15. funkyjudge

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
    SOLD .... closing thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.