1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Birdsong Hy5 Spanish Cedar, Macassar Ebony Top & Headstock the "Eclipse" Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by subtlestew, Apr 27, 2016.

1. subtlestew

subtlestew Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    Price:
    $2000
    Strings:
    This is an amazing bass. Scott Beckwith at Birdsong knows what he is doing - this thing is built like a tank, and it sounds amazing. When he built this, he called it the "Eclipse" bass due to the way the different wood tones appear. The top, which is Macassar ebony, has a lighter tint on one edge, and he masterfully incorporated the body wood (Spanish cedar) at the bottom of the body to provide a "bookend" effect. Then, he crafted matching two-tone pickup covers and knobs. The headstock has also been upgraded to Macassar ebony. The effect of all this is stunning in person.

The bass would cost over $3,000 if ordered new, with a long wait. It also has the older-style Hy5 body, which I much prefer over the new (sorry, Scott.) Get it now for $2000 shipped CONUS.

The bass currently has TI flats on it, which will come with the bass. In the case is an extra TI flat B-string, as well as a full set of what I believe to be Chromes. Getting strings for this is a bit of a challenge, as the B-string is longer than the other strings; you'll be glad to have spares, and the TIs sound great on the bass.

The original Kent Armstrong pickups have been professionally upgraded to Delano SBC 5 HE/S-4 Soapbars ($360,) and the switches to choose the various coil options these pickups provide have been installed. (Two 3-position switches.) This makes the bass more tonally versatile than the average Birdsong.The original Kent Armstrong pickups are in the case and will be included. A wide leather strap that matches the bass beautifully will also be included.

This short scale (31") bass is in excellent condition - I can't find a flaw. The case is also in great shape, and will be included. Weight is between 8 and 8.5 lbs.

Sorry, no trades. I'm selling this in the hopes of acquiring a particular other bass on TB - a real dream bass, or I would not be selling. Price is firm and totally worth it.

Pix:

DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0008.JPG DSC_0010.JPG

Orange Caesar and Burwabit like this.
  2. tommyr01

tommyr01 Simma Down Nah ! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Tucson, AZ, USA
    WOW ! that is truly jaw-dropping ! I have always wanted one of these ! GLWTS ! ........ I so wish I could get it ! ;)

subtlestew likes this.
  3. 3rdWatch

3rdWatch Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Escondido, Ca
    Dang, was just thinking today, if I could only find a Hyssong 5 or 6! Looks like opportunity knocking!

subtlestew likes this.
  4. JayDA

JayDA Space is deep

Oct 4, 2010
    Dirty Jersey
    You're killing me! Every time this comes up for sale, I have no money

5. LUpton

LUpton Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Tampa, FL
    Probably too old for this sh--
    Passive pickups? How's the B string? Can it get in the vicinity of sounding like a Ray?

6. subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    Passive pickups.

The concept of the design is that the double string-through of the B gives it longer length and, therefore, resonance. You'll notice in the pix that the B-string goes through the body at the bridge, wraps towards the neck, then goes through the top of the body again, so it's further connected to the wood of the bass. In my opinion, it makes for a more substantial B-string than you'd normally get on a short-scale bass, which is Scott's concept.

I've never played a 'Ray. I think there are some Hy5 sound clips floating around, but I don't have one, unfortunately.

7. subtlestew

Apr 7, 2000
    Kent, CT
    And, sold!

Thanks for the kind words, all... she's on the way out...