1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Birdsong Singlecut Fretless Prototype

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by FelixBassRabbit, Dec 18, 2015.

1. FelixBassRabbit

FelixBassRabbit

Jun 4, 2015
    Price:
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    IMG_0125.JPG For those of you who love these handmade short-scale monsters, you can own a piece of Birdsong history, quite literally.

This prototype bass was finished in the summer of 2014. According to Scott Beckwith, the owner of Birdsong, it was an experiment in a neck-thru single cut. There were no others made, as they decided to stick with their more familiar bolt-on double-cuts. In November 2015, I had it custom de-fretted by Noll Guitars in Cranston, RI. These guys do awesome work. With the neck-thru and singlecut construction, and now without frets, the sustain is everlasting and the tone is magical.

The particulars:

• Serial no 14 SC-001 (prototype)

• Walnut wings and headstock overlay

• Mahogany and Maple neck-thru

• Rosewood fingerboard and fret inserts

• 31" scale neck

• Ebony nut, knobs, and truss rod cover

• Gold hardware

• Hipshot tuners

• Dual Armstrong soapbar pickups
    Comes with padded MBT gig bag (the one I received it in from Birdsong) and certificate of authenticity. It is in excellent condition.

There is a slight glitch on the back of the headstock, which I pictured. I asked Scott about this, and he chalked it up to it being a prototype and needing a few re-measurements...But does not affect the sound and, being on the back of the headstock, you can't see it from the front. You also can barely see the rosewood fret inserts that Noll used when they de-fretted it. So, it looks unlined but IS lined just enough for you to play and stay in tune!

I do have pictures of the bass before the defret, along with a few from Birdsong of the actual production. I can email these to you if you are interested, just did not want to cause confusion by putting both frets and no frets on the ad!

You will love this bass! At this price, it is a bargain!

Attached Files:

2. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Another beauty! GLWTS, DM