Birelli + Bass = Sick...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JHL, Mar 9, 2006.

1. JHL

Apr 8, 2005
    London, England
  2. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Now there's a Jaco disciple if ever I heard one! :D Great stuff though.
  3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah I think that he picked up a thing or two from Jaco, while they were playing together....

Seriously, he has always been a great bassist and interested with bass. A while back he wrote Timothee and it was a tune that he did the Guitar and the bass on...Kinda bass infront-like tune... later on the Front Page album, DdP does a great job on that Bireli tune.
  4. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    oh I forgot to ask... is that Didier Lockwood? Man, his phrasing is beautiful!
  5. that guy in front of the camera really liked it!

pretty good, and very jaco-ish! :)
  6. JHL

Apr 8, 2005
    London, England
    for those of you who don't know how Birelli Lagrene is, he's a well-known french jazz guitarist... and appearently a pretty good bass player as well.. ;P

Here's an example of his guitarplaying:
  7. That was a wicked clip - undoubtedly he learnt a lot from jaco - also remember Bireli was a child prodigy he was amazing when he was about 9 years old - there's a great dvd of his Gypsy guitar stuff and there's a clip of him at Montreux jazz fest doing a solo spot as a child blowing the crowd away - but he's still a very impressive bassist - what I'd love to hear is him and Dominique Di Piazza have an all bass jam...!

8. He toured with Jaco around Europe for a couple of years when he was about 18 playing guitar - but he's a monster player - sorry I'll stop bigging him up - I'm a bit of fan...

9. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Great video clip. Bireli is definitely one of my favourite guitarists - I love the gypsy-swing style of jazz, and 'Front Page' is one of the best 'fusion' records of recent years.

I'd love to dabble in some gypsy-jazz guitar in the future.
  10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    He's a great guitar player.
    It's cool if he's trying to keep Jaco vibe alive?
    But to me, he's totaly playing Jaco lines, I'd like to here Birelli play like Birelli?
  11. The fact he can do both is kind of the point though - he's a brilliant all rounder...
  12. flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    I'd like hear basslines.
  13. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    anybody watch the "spain" Video... in the link...

waaa... that's fast.. not a big fan of too fast thing.. but that's impressive
  14. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah he was on that Live in Italy album and Stuttgart Aria with JFPIII... He is a killer playing!

From what I have heard, he has always been an amazing Bassist!

Thanks to cats like Mike Flynn and David, I picked up 'Front Page' ... man, there is some killer playing on it!
    How about a mix of Safardic/Gyspy and Flamenco on that upcoming Drozd? You still getting one of those?
  15. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    he WAS playing basslines then he took a solo, then he started walking basslines again
  16. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I agree, but on guitar he's himself.
    Super talented though.
  17. rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm a big fan of his stuff on guitar. That, despite the incredible technical skill, didn't do much for me. It got kinda boring once the "oh my god listen to how fast he's playing" quickly wore off.
  18. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thats awesome!

I play with a guitarist who sounds very similar to Birelli, but I dont think he even knows it.

The bass playing in the video was good, but almost too much showmanship. I would have liked to hear the melodic lines which he did play about half the time.