Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Birmingham, Alabama Teacher

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Velocimaniac, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    Well I was thinking I should get a teacher...I can play basslines but I don't think that I really know a lot about theory and some general technique, even though I've been reading articles here on talkbass. So I want to get a teacher. Are there any TB teachers here from Birmingham, Alabama or near the general area?

2. razorbakc

razorbakc

Feb 3, 2002
    Im in B-ham and I'm taking a theory class at my high school.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Is Oteil Burbridge still basing himself outta Birmingham these daze?
    If so...they're ya go.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
  5. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    Who's Oteil Burbridge? I'm in a Guitar/Bass class and I did learn to read from it but it's pretty pathetic...me and the other bass player are the only ones who have any sense of time at all and about 90% of the people there are absolutely horrible. There's 6 competent people out of 35 I think. Its horrible. We're still doing the same stuff we did at the beginning of the year...on the other hand, sometimes I get to see the other bassist freestyle with the teacher(a drummer) and it's incredible.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Just some guy that passed through my neck of the woods back in the '80s...since then, he's been playing with guys like The Aquarium Rescue Unit, The Allman Brothers, Frogwings, Vida Blue, Trey Anastacio, some cats from Sun Ra's band, blah.
    Last time I talked to him('98), he mentioned he was living in Birmingham, Alabama.