1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Birth of a new band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by B-NoteCowboy, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Unexpectedly, some innoncent jamming with some campfire type guitarist/singers I work with on various (sales) road trips resulted in invinting over another coworker who I knew played some drums in a church band.

Well, the drummer turned out to be extremely good.

Recently these jam sessions took another turn for the unexpected when my cousin-in-law moved to town. He was the original guitar player in my main band (kiss trib) and he with very little effort at that time was able to pull of a very credible Ace Frehley. He's easily one of the top two or three most talented musicians I've ever played with. The guy who not only plays by ear like me, but plays by ear via memory instead of having to hear the song he's trying to learn. That's a level of natural talent that's rare - and it's always in the right key and close to note for note.

Anyway, I invited him to jam with the group and predictably the three of us (along with the me and the drummer) took off on a bunch of great jams and now it looks for all the world like I've got a power trio on my hands.

No real point to this post other than to say it's funny how somtimes things happen when you aren't trying to make them happen. For example, in my KISS band we literally interviewed 12 different guitar players before finding this guy's replacement when he was unable to continue with the band.

We were breaking out Rush songs and a bunch of other great stuff from the early 90's along with blues and classic hard rock and sounding pretty good as a jam band. Tightening up a 40 song set would be a piece of cake with these guys.

It's kind of exciting to start a new band knowing it has this kind of firepower. In fact the challenge is to determine a narrower focus because the jamming has been all over the place from Jimmi to Metallica to Rush to STP to Charlie Daniels to SRV to Ted Nugent to KISS to Weezer to Skynard to Chili Peppers to some funk/dance band crap etc. Just very eclectic but great rock n roll.

No point other than to tell the story.

2. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Nice work! Good luck to you guys.

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021