1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Birth of a new Roscoe !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shiveringbass, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hello,

After a long time of thinking and hesitating, I've made up my mind for a Roscoe #2, a fretless speced with the help of our Gard and the always helpfull and patient Jay from Blueberry hill bass.
    :bassist:

The new born will be a SKB 5 fretless with :
    swamp ash body
    top from a crazy bubinga board Jay proposed me
    :bawl:

standard 3 pieces neck
    birdseye diamondwood fingerboard

bart pickups
    Demeter preamp

Those specs are the results of some long talks with Gard and Jay to shape the sound I want : growling fretless tone with strong low mids but as open and clear as possible with singing highs.

Now I just have to wait... and wait... and call jay... and wait.... and call jay...
    :crying:
    :mad:

til it is at least ready !
    :hyper:

I'll keep you posted with pics and update as soon as I get them !

Regards

Shiveringbass

2. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia

Congrats Shiveringbass! Sounds like a killer fretless bass! I'm right there with you. I placed an order this week for another fretted SKB 3005.
    We can console each other!:)

3. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hello Joe,

Congrats for the new order !
    And let's create a club for poor lonely waiting Roscoehead !
    :)

4. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Just for the pleasure, this is a pic from the crazy bubinga board JPJ sent me.
    :hyper:

My bass top will be cut from that board.
    :bassist:

Isn't she lovely ?

Attached Files:

5. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    thats like.. molten lava...

that is freaking sweet.

6. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Owner: Bass Direct
    Way to go Shivering - that is a great piece of wood it's going to be an amazing partner to your other Roscoe. At least you have a Roscoe to play while you are waiting:)

7. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I'm diggin that Bubinga.

8. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Congratulations! that top looks awesome!

9. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Great looking top!
    That will be killer looking!

10. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Thanks Roscoeheads !
    Yes, I think that Roscoe will look amazing... just like every piece coming out from Roscoe shop.
    ;)

The only thing I was not sure about is the association of birdseye maple (fingerboard) and bubinga top aestheticaly.

But finaly, it should look good and give a very distinctive look to my fretless.

Regards

11. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Contributor- Bass Musician Magazine
    Thats the same board my tops from!!! Its huge, I think its like 6 feet long or something like that, but there are some sick pieces in there, and those guys really know how to get the nicest cuts.
    Congrats on a sweet bass. The specs sound familiar, mines pretty much exactly the same, bubinga/ash, birdseye diamondwood. 'Cept mine has a wenge wedge neck and nordies with an audere.

Keep us posted on how its comin!!

12. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    I'm waiting to see the "Xmas tree bass"- the one made from the piece on the bottom right of that board, bookmatched to center with the zig zag sapwood in the middle....... dang!

13. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hello Wolfbass,

Yes that wood combination seems pretty popular those days.
    Gard's fault ?
    ;)

For your preamp choice, well ... I'm pretty surprised...

When I've talked about throwing a Glockenklang preamp in my bass, Jay seemed to tell me that guies at Roscoe would not be so incline to put another preamp in the bass since they already propose 3 different choices...

So I chose the Demeter, the closest solution to Glock. pre.

For the top choice... keep watching... some pics soon !
    ;)

Regards

14. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    just curious, why does that preamp choice surprise you?

I think its great, and the dual mids are awesome for fretless. When I played Gards with the audere in it, I knew it was a wise choice, I liked it better than when I heard his with the demeter.

Either way, I'm sure they both will sound great!!

15. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Sorry if it was not clear, I'm not surprise about your choice of preamp, I'm sure it is great.

I'm just surprise that Roscoe will install you a preamp which is not in their options cause when I ask myself if Roscoe could put a Glockenklang preamp in my futur fretless, the answer was not realy positive...

Regards

16. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Ah- I see.

I think they had been in communicatin with Audere already when I requested that. It is going to be great, I really dug the sound of it. I reccomend checking it out before you settle on the demeter!

17. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Owner: Bass Direct
    Wolf + 1 on the Audere. Despite my woeful attempt at putting up some sound comparisons my take on the Audere is this - it has a clean, uncoloured sound with which to work with, like an artists canvas, allowing you to create your own sound with the eq or z mode.

It really works for me when I use it live as I have a bit more control over the low mids and bottom end compared to the Bart.

It isn't voiced like the Bart (which I really Like), I haven't tried the Demeter (which also sounds great) so I guess it's difficult without trying all the options which do make it a bit more complicated (although Gard has a great understanding for each option) - anyway Roscoe's sound great with any of the preamps in IMO.:)

18. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby!

Sep 25, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Shivering,
    Sweet top! What body wood did you choose? The BEM fingerboard will look great with the bubinga, just look at Gard's bass. Damn, all these new Roscoes....I've got to get my money together and get mine ordered. :D

Shawn

19. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    hey shivering- I've been really curious about the glock pre as well. Have you heard it yet? The only bass I know that has one is the groove shoppe 5.

Judging by how much I love their amps and preamps, I think I would really dig their onboard.

20. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Body wood will be ash, my personnal favorit for bass body wood !

Wolf, in fact... I've got a Glock pre at home...I'm a bit ashamed cause I received it 3 months ago but never took the time to go to my repareman to install it.
    :x

My goal was to have it installed in my freted Roscoe... soon I hope.
    ;)

I play myself on a Glockenklang stack and it rocks. That's the reason I wanted to hear that Glock onboard pre.

Regards

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021