Birthday Bass Collection

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Over the past couple of years I've started a tradition where on my birthday I go out and treat myself to a bass.....today and tomorrow I'm gonna go out and hit up some stores and pawn shops to see if I can find anything interesting to add to the collection..

Here's a photo I took today of my current collection

P1010106group.gif

from left to right..

1. Bentley acoustic guit*r (first guit*r I owned, I've had it for around 10 years now)
    2. Fender DG-11 acoustic (I've also owned this one for around 10 years)
    3. 1971 Fender Musicmaster
    4. SX fretless bass
    5. 1976 Fender Precision bass
    6. '07 Lakland Joe Osborne (I've had this one for about 6 months or so now, this is the one I gig with the most)
    7. 80's Fender Precision (bought this one a few years ago on my b-day, went looking for a sunburst Fender and the first shop I walked into had this one hanging on the wall...it was meant to be)
    8. '03 Fender Jazz bass (first bass I bought after not playing music for 3 or 4 years, coincidentally bought this one also on my birthday)
    9. Kentucky mandolin (got for a birthday present a few years ago)

I also have a bunch of single photos if there is anything you'd like to see a bit closer.....

2. That's a nice collection! and a wicked idea, perhaps I should take this up:)

3. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Nice stable you have there!

Happy Birthday!

4. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I know you like that Lakie JO best, but I LOVE that blonde '76 P. Very nice collection!

As an aside, I show pics like that to my wife to make her think she has it easy with me. :)

5. This thread sounds familiar...... :D

Jr., wish you were going to make it to ATL for NYE.

6. Okay off topic but why do some people spell it with an * and why do people mock Wishbasses? sorry for derailing haha, been on my mind for a while.

nice basses by the way =)

7. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    i think it's an inside joke that you can't speak of guitars on a bass forum..

8. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    nice basses. I really love all the Fenders! Go get yourself a Rick, stingray, or hollowbody this birthday!

9. +1, since you have pretty every Fender bass (base :D) covered...

Though you don't have a '70-model jazz...

10. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    I really want a P/J.......I think in a few months I'm gonna order a Nash P/J with a Jazz neck. :)

Never got a chance to out yesterday, but I'm gonna hit up a few stores in Memphis before my gig tonight.

11. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    +1 on the hollowbody - there's usually a few "diamond in the rough" to be found hiding in pawn shops! :D

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Junior, I can tell that you like the JO the best, because that's the only one that warranted a stand (rather than sit on the ground like the others)! A sweet collection, no doubt. I have a '75 P Bass that looks real similar to your '76. I know people knock the '70's Fenders (probably more so with the later "70's), but I love mine. Great tone. Anyway, I'll be interested to see what you pick up NEXT year on your birthday!

13. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Jeff, nice to see another Tb'er from the Memphis area! I'm always on the lookout for mom and pop stores that always have cool used instruments......you know of any in Memphis? My favorite is Taylor's Music on Madison (that's actually where I bought the sunburst P and red J bass).....they don't seem to have as many instruments moving through the store as they used to when Mr. Taylor owned it but they still have some cool, quirky instruments in there.

Yes, nice observation! The JO is my "baby".....it's the only one that doesn't have any dings or scratches on it and my "go to" bass for gigs. I really love the 76 P, it's exceptionally light for a 70's Fender (8.5 lbs) and plays great! I recently pulled the Fralin pickup and put in a Reverend 10K P pickup and it sounds a lot better IMO!

anyways, headed out in a few min. to go get my passport and hit up a few local pawn shops.

14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    No, Junior, I might have to tap into YOUR list of pawn shops, etc., since you always seem to find the hot deals! Taylor's used to be my favorite, too. I used to enjoy going in and talking to Mike. But it doesn't seem to be the same anymore. Rod & Hank's Vintage Guitars used to get some great stuff, but they're not around anymore.

I'm guessing you're from the North MS area. There's a little shop in Senatobia (close to McDonald's off of I-55). It's a regular music store though. Probably wouldn't find too many bargains. About the only places I stop into regularly are Yarbrough's & G.C. Mainly, I just check out newspaper ads; the Bay; Craigslist; the catalogs; and of course T.B. I guess I have that dreaded affliction known as G.A.S. I'm always getting something that I really like. Then after a year or two, something else hits my hot button, and I have to sell one of the existing ones to afford the "new" one. (The T.B. "doctors" have me convinced that there is no cure!)

15. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Oh yeah. I've been meaning to ask you if you're related to the late, great bluesman, Junior Kimbrough?

16. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Junior: awesome, with one caveat...
    Never let you Precision touch my Precision.
    Might open a black hole of deep bass.

72pincase.gif

17. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Damn, Chef, aside from some subtle differences in the grain, that looks like it could BE my '75! Very nice...

18. lbpark

lbpark

Apr 23, 2005
    AL
    Awesome collection Jr. Still diggin' the MM?

19. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Jeff, I agree Taylor's is not quite the same as it used to be...... Actually I live between Senatobia and Como, I know the guys at the store off I-55 well but they rarely have anything interesting other than your new Peavey and Fenders. There is a place one of my bandmates has been telling about in Water Valley......a guy that does some studio stuff in Oxford opened a shop, think his name is Bill Watson?......he supposedly has a lot of old vintage cheapo instruments (i.e. Silvertone, Harmony, etc.)

and no, i'm no relation to Junior Kimbrough......although I am a fan of the Hill country blues. i live right down the road from Otha Turners house where they have the infamous "goat barbeque" in the summer time.

Chef, sweet P!! details??

lbpark, yep lovin it! Been tossing around the idea of seeing if a P pickup will fit in there with no additional routing.

20. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Chef's Precision:
    1972 model, purchased in or around 1974. Dead stock, well traveled, great friend.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021