Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by heath_the_great, Mar 18, 2006.

1. would you play a gig on your birthday? im playin on my birthday next month and all my mates are calling me crazy saying i should cancel it so i can go clubbing instead....but id rather play
  2. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Screw going "clubbing."

Play one.
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Getting drunk, maybe having a good time, and spending a lot of money on expensive drinks...

versus...playing a gig, getting paid, and (almost certainly) a good time.

Play the gig, dude. I'd do it too.
  4. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I played a gig on the 17 which was my birthday. It was awesome. I'd go with the show as opposed to clubbing.
  5. You can't gig whenever you want. Do it then go clubbin' later on. You can do that whenever. A gig is special. And you get paid. :smug:

What better of a present could you get?
  6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    you need a really good reason to cancel a gig, your birthday ain't one
  7. true....i was just after been gigging pretty constanly the last few months clubbing has lost its charm...i mean, gigging makes a night fun and complete...when i go clubbing i just get pissed off cos the dance floor you're always getting pushed and shoved and the skanky women (which i dont like) where gigging its more fun, except for when drunks try to tell you how to do everything
  8. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    +1 on skanks. They ruin my night.

Went to my bass teacher's show tonight (got off early) and was pushed around the dance floor by skanks and big frat guys until around 1:30, when they started doing Jimi covers.

Then, everything gelled together.
  9. i really dont want to sound racist, and i dont intend on offending anyone im just saying how it is on the clubs where i go...

well, usually when i go out the clubs are absolutely full or wogs and asian guys, now at the place where i mainly go (fannys) they think they own a place and absolutly psuh everyone around, start fights and you might be dancing with some chick friends which i usually do and a group of asian guys will form a circle around the chicks or one of them and start all trying to have a go at not saying that all wogs or asians are like this just the ones that happen to 99% of the time be there
  10. Play the gig. It's ALWAYS the better option, and if you drink, they'll be free all night.
  11. im not that doesnt help me
  12. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    No but if it's good enough for him, it's sure as hell good enough for any of us :-D
  13. so that makes cocaine good enough for any of us?...sorry, im just sick of these :its good enough for jaco: answers
  14. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    It's your birthday! Do what you want! :cool:
  15. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I'd stay at home and browse TB with Brad Cook.
  16. can i cry if i want to?:p :D
  17. If you play in a 5 piece band, there's 5 nights you won't gig right there.

You don't get a day off work for your birthday. A gig is like work.
  18. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Maybe it's because I've had way too many of them, but birthdays don't seem like a big deal to me. I normally work on the night of my birthday, if it is a regular worknight, and if I gig, well, that's just an excuse for the other guys in the band to buy my drinks.
  19. I played on mine last year... free drinks, playing, and getting paid. Seems like a pretty good combination. You can always celebrate the night afterwards if you really want to.