1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bit of a dilema (TI Round/Flat mix up)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kevcooke, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Hey folks,

Hope you all had a good christmas. I ordered some TI Jazz rounds for my Yamaha TRB1006. I have received TI Jazz flats.... Now, I've been considering give flats a go but these are freaking expensive. Should I just return them and get what I like, or give them a go?

Can someone post sound clips of your basses strung with TI Jazz flats? Would be of great help, please.

Kev

2. Forgot to add, it's very important to me that harmonics ring clear and loud

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    If you want a roundwound sound, return them and get what you ordered. The TI flats sound great but do not sound like a roundwound. TI roundwounds do.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    If you're serious about awanting to try flat's TIJF's would be a great place to start but ...

Brand new TIJF's will offer up some harmonic content but that fades off pretty quickly. I love TIJF's partly for the feel, partly for the sound. Out of three main basses, 2 have JF's and one has TI Super Alloys. (Dark Star P Bass, Reverend PJ and Reverend J respectively).

From you description I would say return them and get Super Alloys - not Jazz Rounds. JR's are super light weight and feel more like guitar strngs. The SA's are a nice light weight lower tension round.

Your JF's are just not going to do the piano bass thing - no matter what... wrong application.

These day's I work in an alt country/blues/indie rock setting. Back in my smooth jazz days, I used the DAddario half round almost exclusively as it has the body of a flat whle retaining a bit of twang on top for the few slap 'n pop Marcus'ism's required there.

I'll see if I can work up a clip of something with the JF's that I can post.