Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bit of a Problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Erich Zann, May 16, 2001.

1. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    I was unsure if I should post this to the amps or basses form, but seeing as tho I fairly sure it's my bass causing it, i'll post it here.

I just got myself a brand new used American Standard P-bass (a steal at CDN$875!!)
    The problem is that when I plug it into my amp, I get an alful lot of distortion, which is something I'd like to avoid on my Peavey amp. I set everything flat, and no matter how low I turn the pregain down, it still does it. The thing is, no other bass will do this to this amp, and the bass works fine in anyother amp. Any ideas??

2. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    I don't meen to be pickey, but I ment to say American DELUXE P-bass :)

3. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hey,

first look at the settings on your amp (maybe you have somehow turned on Overdrive or Overdriven it). Then check the cable. If you find no problems, take the bass to a store and try it via other amps. If it still doesn`t work, give it to a tech to find the problem.

David

4. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    I tried all that actually. Alll controals on the amp were set flat, pluged into the lowgain Input. Tried another bass, and no distortion. tried my bass into my guitarists fender BXR-100(he used to be a bassplayer) and no problem at all. Well, except for the fact that it made me realize how much my (although rather large) Peavey amp really sucks. I ended up using his for the Jam

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Does it do this when you plug into the high/active input?

6. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    Yes, even more so. It's seems to happen on just the e-string actually.

7. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I'm not totally familiar with this bass but does it have on board active electronics?

If so, replacing the battery might solve your problem. Maybe you got a bass with a semi dead one.

I hope your solution might be this easy.

Bones

8. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    Fairly sure that's not it. Borrowed a new battery and same result, so I put the old one back in.

9. rickbass

Erich - If you can isolate it to that, maybe it's a bad pole piece.

10. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    well, it's pretty much isolated to that string, but it only happens on that one amp! on every other amp it works fine.

11. rickbass

Sorry, you did mention that. If it's doing through your Peavey and your homemade cab, that's really puzzling to a non-techie (like me).

12. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    My only thoughts were that it sould be a combonation of to things. I have a very agressive style, and I like to crank the preamp. But nothing I do to the amp will fix it, so I'm a bit puzzled. No problems in the store, no problems at home, just on the rig I use with my band.

13. rickbass

Since it's new, maybe the dealer or Mr. Gearhead at Fender's site can help you. After all, you just contributed to their income.

14. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    Actually it's used, I got it for CDN$875. It lists at $1600 american so I figure that well over
    CDN$2000 :)

One thing tho. I just notest it was distorting my pratice amp as well (although nowhere near as bad.I hadn't played it at home for more that a minuite until today.)

After noticing that the pickups on it were twice as close to the strings as the ones on my soundgear(but a lot closer to the bass), I lowered the kneck pickups a bit, which eliminated it altogther on those, but increased it on the bridge. Mabey I should lower that one too?

15. rickbass

Yeah. Pickup height is a compromise between good tone, (further away), and output, (closer=more). What is correct is what works for you.

16. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    Well, I'll give that a shot, tho there isn't much room between the bass and the strings.

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, this is a long shot, but it's worth mentioning...my Spector runs hot (18 volts). When I play it through my practice amp, I get a bad distortion, particularly on the lowest notes. It sounds like your problem is the same. In my case, the GK amp is just not capable of reproducing all the harmonic overtones from such a hot bass. The P-bass you have also runs pretty hot, which is why I think it's got more to do with the output from your bass than anything else.

To check this, take it back to the store you bought it at and try your bass through some different amps. Try to find one as similar to yours if possible (or maybe even bring your practice amp in as a bass-line). Then, try some big rigs. See if those big rigs still distort like your practice amp does. It'll also help if you have a knowledgeable sales/repair person present to consult with.

18. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    It's funny you should say that, as it's actually not my pratice amp that does it (after I lowered the pickups a bit) It's the "big rig" that does it quite badly.

Both are Peavey, the combo a basic 112, the bigger one you can see in my profile. Right now I've got the pregain on my combo set as low as possable (around 1).

My larger amp stays where we reherse, so I haven't much time to play around with it, but when I first pluged into it, It sounded like I turned on my big muff (which wasn't even plugged in at the time) I discovered today, tho that the fender is WAY louder that my soundgear, so i'll have to keep that in mind.