1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bit of a strange question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ADbassman, Dec 3, 2006.

1. I'm looking for some kind of chemical that I can light on fire without it burning my skin. I know that some kind of alcohols can do this, like whatever is used in bug spray but I don't know of much else. I'm not sure what kind of forces are at work that keep the flame form burning the skin either. Does anybody know some chemicals that might produce my desired effect?

I'm also on the lookout for a metals that produce a spark when you strike them together, kinda like flint and steel. Any suggestions?

Kind of a weird question, but I found this difficult to google.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I believe that there are some things that will burn up before they burn your skin...as in you could burn them on your skin for a very short period of time without getting hurt (a few seconds). The thing is though that fire is hot. So a fire burning on your skin is going to be hot and burn you eventually ("eventually" being after a few seconds). I don't know of any liquid except for some specialized gels used in Hollywood that can protect your skin from heat as it burns.

bc

3. Are you going to be the next one to wind up on break.com?

Good luck with that.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Be careful. Take video. :D

5. I second the video motion.

6. RobTheSkanker

RobTheSkanker

Aug 29, 2006
    Dundalk, MD
    I too want to see the movie. The only thing that I can think of to do that is axe spray, my friend raab did it, and I know he did because he took pics. But sadly it only lasts like 3 seconds then you have to put it out.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    When I was younger I used rubber cement for that exact purpose. Repeatedly. In class.

Yes, I got in trouble.

However it works well, and insulates you from the heat for several seconds, up to a minute if you spread it thick. Be careful and be sure to take video.

8. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    As far as I know burns are caused by heat .

The above products / chemical releases stored energy when burned (combustion) .

Heat is one of these.

Where their is heat a potential for burns exist.

Be careful and take and post a video when you do it.

Good luck ,,BTW are your insurance premiums paid up?

I would hate to see anybody go through this.

had a friend in the ARMY get burned really bad all over his face using a lighter to see inside of a gas can. BAD idea yes. He was grossly disfigured for the rest of his life , not to mention the obscene pain he endured .

burn1.

9. Oils and water. If you dip a 20 dollar bill in water then dip it in flammable oil and light it on fire it will burn the oil off leaving the money in tact. I think that was how it works, they did it on daily planet.

10. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Fire is not something you want to be dealing with. If this is for a stage show, then on top of the actual dangers involved, you have to get licenses and clearances from the fire marshall. You'll also have to have saftey men standing by. Like in the movies, but if you've ever watched 'the making of' type shows, the fire stunt (or gag) is always performed with the actor well protected, and with at least two guys standing right there with extinguishers and another 2 or so at the ready to roll him around.

Anything but the most professional level of safety and health would, on top of everything else, be a total insult to the real stunt men and women working today.

imho

11. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Offhand I can't think of any chemicals that would be easy to acquire and would burn how you want them to. They probably exist though. I have a fuel mixture that might work in my garage, but it burns clear :meh:

PS I tested my methanol/oil/something else mixture in a plastic container. The rim deformed from the heat but the bottom stayed cool. If you put that stuff on your hands it would probably burn you.

12. Thanks all for the words of caution and advice.

To answer questions:

No, not for a stage show.

Yes, there will be a video.

Yes, my insurance is paid up.

I would definately go about this with the utmost of caution. I'm looking to test small patches on my hand with people standing by to extinguish the flames if need be. I'm not really looking to the whole human torch thing, just a flicker of fire on my hand.For all I know, using fast burning alcohol may work for what I want, but I'll have to see.