1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bit of a tech tube question for an 95 ampeg svt 2 pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oldironsights, Apr 12, 2009.

1. oldironsights

oldironsights

Jun 13, 2008
    LAS VEGAS
    just picked up an 1995 ampeg svt 2 pro, and this thing has a ton of tubes (14 to be exact) Im new to the tube amp world and have heard different things concerning what tubes actually effect the "main tone" of your sound. What I understand is that it is the driver tubes that actually affect most of your sound. This amp has 1 12ax7 and 2 12au7 tubes in the drive section. If thats the case what tubes to go with??? Im a bit of a experimentalist when it comes to stuff like this and will always want to change the tubes to try to get different sounds.(when they die of course) Well also if this helps I play post hardcore/experimental rock.
    Thanks

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I'd go with a 12AX7 and a 12AU7 when the ones you have fail in about ten to fifteen years.

Paul

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's true, (to my ears), that the driver tubes have alot of influence on your tone. If your tubes are functioning, leave them alone, or at the very least, replace them with the same type, but not necessarily the same brand.