1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bit of advice...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tom22689, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Tom22689

Tom22689

Oct 30, 2003
    England
    I'm starting off learning the bass, for about 2 months now and I have been looking at various pedals/effects and to be honest i'm totally lost! I know quite a bit musically as I've been playing the 'cello for 5 years. Thanks to anyone who replies :)

2. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    eh i wouldnt worry about effects just yet work on theory and technique first.

3. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I don't think that the theory wel be a problem when you have been playing for about 5 years chello. Technique is a point though.

Effects are not the major thing in bassworld, although it spices up your sound. E.g. octaver (great for groovy, muted notes in the low register) or a chorus (fantastic for harmonics).

Succes. :D

4. Tom22689

Tom22689

Oct 30, 2003
    England
    Thanks :) i spoke to a music teacher I know and he agrees basically with what you said. I've had quite good experience with bad technique as with the cello I had a bad bad bad bad teacher for a few years... doing things right now tho :)

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    I'm a newer bass player too, I did not see what you are using in your profile but one thing I learned that it is tricky sometimes getting a consistant good clean tone. Once you get that established then you can add effects. I am looking to add a basic distortion or overdrive right now.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    alot of peopel like to use one of the samsamp di boxes to give a good healthy clean tone.

i was in a ckub at uni the other day with a guy with a ****ty tanglewood $150 bass and a $200 laney 15" bassamp... he had one of the samsamp things and it sounded SO good i REALLY couldnt believe it