Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bit of help needed.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gongboy, Sep 14, 2004.

1. gongboy

gongboy

Sep 14, 2004
    I play an Ibanez EDB 600 active. It's an awesome bass, and it fits my style of playing very well. The only problem is, it's broken.

A few days ago, I went to plug my bass in and it gave me the most awfully distorted sound. It sounded like the crappiest overdrive you've ever heard. I thought maybe there was a connection problem with the cable, so I used another one. Still the same problem. I thought maybe it was my amp, so I got my friend to plug his guitar into it. It played clean. So I knew it was the bass.

I took the cover to the imput jack off and fiddled with the connections, and when I put it back together, it sounded clean again, but only for awhile. Now it sounds clean whenever I play lightly, but as soon as I hit the strings at least a little aggressively, the tone turns to mud. Any practical advice on how to fix the thing? I really like the bass and this is driving me nuts.

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    If your handy with a soldering iron, might just resolder the connections, sounds like a loose wireing issue. Or if your not, take it to a guitar repair shop, I wouldnt figure it would be real expensive to get your connections re-soldered.

3. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

change the battery.

4. Uh, have you tried replacing the battery?

Edit: Oops, I got pwned.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Doh, never owned an active, didnt occur to me lol :)

6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    ditto.

7. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    You might find that there is a "dry joint" in the wiring. This is where the joint wasn't formed correctly and it is intermittent.

So if you can use an iron you can sort it out.

8. gongboy

gongboy

Sep 14, 2004
    Thanks, guys! I probably look like some sort of newbie moron with that as my first post, but I really do know my stuff. This was my first active bass, and for the past two years I've changed my battery regularly whether I thought it needed it or not. What with a recent move, I didn't think to do it this time. And I always thought that when the battery was dying, it would just slowly decrease in volume, the distortion thing threw me off.

9. So, it really was the battery?

Just like you, I prefer changing batteries in my basses regularly, so I don't get a bad surprise on a gig (like it happened to me once with my first active bass, a few years ago)...

10. gongboy

gongboy

Sep 14, 2004
    Yeah, it was the battery. If you play with an active, always keep one in your gig bag. It's good to keep one in your desk at home, too.