Bizare tunings?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by metalbass101, Jan 25, 2004.

1. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    Do any of you guys have like a wacky tuning that you use to give yourself "your sound" ?I do ,I like low g+ tuning on my 4 string.It is HELLA low "evil" sounding.The e string (g+) sounds like a B string on steriods,it is perfect for staying invisible and beefing up the guitar.The a string (c+) sounds like a massive low-midrange punch monster,great with distortion and pickstyle.The d string (f+) is great for standing out.All those punk guys who like to turn the tone knob all the way up on their p or j basses would like to hear that.The g string (b) is perfect for getting percussive with.I love this tuning,its so ....sinister sounding.Especially with my elixer nanowebs its like the perfect metal tuning.I can honestly say I like playing ALL the strings now.Not just e and a like how it was with standard or "d" tuning.I can serously do anything with any string and not have a single regret.
  2. I've done CGCF for a lil' bit. It's sure different. Sometimes I just tune to different things, see what I can do.
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I use a tenor tuning on my 5'er EADGC, but that's not weird. I don't think I would like playing somethign that wasn't tuned in 4ths- it woudl wreak havoc with my patterns. haha...
  4. Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    but doens't seem half as weird as your tuning
  5. HaVIC5

Aug 22, 2003
    Brooklyn, NYC
    I use cello 5th tuning on my tenor 5 string a lot, CGDAE, and you can get some crazy range and chords on it. But undoubtably the weirdest tuning I've ever played with is my 6 string tritone tuning, tuned AEbAEbAEb low to high. The chord shapes and patterns you get are crazy.
  6. [​IMG]

Pentasystems guitars (they make basses too). the 'standard' tuning is in fifths. sure, you can tune it however you want, but these guys have a '5' theme going on.......strange, and yet, i like the look of it (yes, i understand it's shortcomings with that horrible angle on the low E string)
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Michael Manring is the king of alternate tunings. Check out some of his writings on TalkBass and in old issues of Bass Player.
  8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  9. you weirdo :D
  10. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA

Do you use the 5ths tuning often enough to feel "comfortable" using it in a wide variety of gigs and genres? What make of bass do you use for this, and what string set?? thanks.
  11. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Seriously metalbass101, consider a five. A low G is just too low for most people to hear. I think you'd lose a lot from it because if you ever want to sightread, understand the fingerboard, and know the notes on the neck it would be difficult to do.

Did you set your bass up for that tuning? You usually need to set things up or the bass will play horrible and go out of tune easily.

I am not saying don't experiment, but you tuning sounds very impratical. For real, try a 5 or a 4 set up BEAD, and see what you like best. With everthing you described, BEAD sounds like it would suit your needs and cause less confusion later on.
  12. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I like DGCF on a 4 string or DGCFA# on a 5 string. I like to go lower than an open E, but I don't often go below D. I have thought about using the same tuning, but at the first fret (open strings an additional 1/2 step lower)
  13. Today when my guitarists and I jammed we used F#,F#,B,E - Those are all tuned down too! WAS REALLY LOW! Next weekend we are thinking of using C#,G#,E,B
  14. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I thought about a tritone tuning a while back - specifically for Stick, but I think it would actually work better on bass. Certainly a good tuning for someone who hates barring! ;)

The resulting patterns looked very interesting, but when I tried it I didn't like it much. I didn't stick with it for long though.
  15. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    what? a LOW F#? that's what, 7 or 8 WHOLE steps? sounds pretty rediculous, on top of two of the same strings with the same note/pitch man ;).
  16. Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    The guitarists in my band play regular guitars tuned down to B or C# sharp... open strings are used frequently. I use standard tuning. I'll use Drop D on occasion, but I prefer to just stay EADG.

yea, i'm boring
  17. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    yeah dude, i know E to B works fine. but then you are talking about more than that even. B if petty floppy, but F# is just pretty stuipid and rediculous, especially tuning BOTH E and A to it also. so how was it sounding like fieldly tyler :p?
  18. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    You know, with the right gauge string (I used a .150 taperwound when I had it on my 7), a low F# can be cool, but with a .100-.110 string, I bet it sounds like ****.
  19. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    yeah, i'm sure if you had a .200 guage it would sound pretty good... :p. yeah, with the right guage, but how many of us really have that (.150 E) laying around?