Bizarre basses from Netherlands

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CoolHat, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Check these babies out:

There is one with fanned frets, few two-stringers, basses with an "open" fretboard, but my personal favorite is this one:
  2. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
  3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Where's BunnyBasss When you need them!!!!
  4. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    are those Ritter knock offs or prototypes on the bass page?

cool concepts on a few of those. cant respect a bass that needs to be vaccuumed and shampooed periodically though. LOL
  5. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Carl Thompson and Merleaux ripoffs (along with fenders)
  6. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    One word: weird!!!!!!!!!
  7. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Well I'm not a big fan of such blatant ripping off such unique designs as Zon's, Ritters, and CT's, but I'd REALLY like to know the idea and rationalle [sic :p ] behind this one:

8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    actually i believe they were ritter prototypes... both can be found on the CT website in the CT wannabees/tributes pics.
  9. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Heu I'd love to see that with a mentally sane made fretboard.
  10. LajoieT

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Where's Wish when you need him!!!
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Looking at it, I think it does indeed work. The frets are in the right places, just... angled funky for the hell of it.

12. Why would anyone do that to a bass? can't play it looks like it should shoot lasers or something...last time I checked basses were supposed to be played not shoot lasers
  13. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    A few too many visits to the hash bars, apparently...
  14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Am I the only one that's curious about:

1. The hardcase for it
    2. Tuning it?

Plus, hey, it'd keep you nice and warm during those chilly winter gigs.
  15. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The string would have to be very precisely positioned side-to-side, which appears to be true, looking at the way the saddle is narrowly guided. If you were tapping, you could get a very colorful vibrato with the angled frets, maybe even something approximating the sound of a scalloped guitar.
  16. FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    The index page does have the following warning:

Deze pagina bevat diverse volkomen absurde instrumenten, die door bezoekers van deze website als shockerend kunnen worden ervaren. De maker van deze website is niet verantwoordelijk voor lach-aanvallen en bewegingen van de rechter wijsvinger in de richting van het voorhoofd.
    Ik accepteer de voorwaarden
    Ik kan hier niet mee leven en ga weg"

This page contains various completely absurd instruments, which might be considered by visitors of this website as shocking. The author of this website is not responsible for laughter attacks and movements of the right index finger towards the forehead.

I accept the conditions
    I cannot live with this and will leave now

On the "De knutselaar page" the webmaster promises to give some information about himself/herself in the near future. Now that will be interesting.

And the descriptions of the basses are also quite funny, I guess non-Dutch TB'rs have already spotted the "barbecue" reference. Yes, the builder actually recommends secondary use as a barbecue grill.

Weird, funny, but weird.

17. Translation:
    Another jazz bass? Very original you'd think. Of course there's something going on with this bass too... well what do you think of a 12AX7 tube in the preamp? It's hidden behind the grill. The high voltage is delivered by a separate adapter through the XLR. Electronics consist of a pup-selector, gain, high, mid and low. In this case an active/passive switch cannot be absent.This bass is also suitable to barbeque on the grill after a gig. Thus a multifunctional 'tubehead'.
  18. FR5

Feb 12, 2004
    Yes, these instruments are all real and playable (some even sound quite good according to the maker). In the Jazz there is a combination of optical, piezo and regular pick-ups.