Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bizarre cable incident...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Marcus Willett, May 13, 2005.

1. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    OK, so I have our sound tech make me a cable. I wanted a shorter one to go from my bass (passive Aero's) to my DI (Fishman Platinum Pro) to my amp. I used Canare cable with Neutrik connectors. There was some sound diff, but that's not what's weird, here is:

When I plug in with the new cable (all other variables are the same), I have no taper on my volume pot on the bass. I have a master volume, and with this cable I seem to have 2 settings. Full on, or anything less than full on (like backing off just a bit on the master volume), and the level immediately goes down to perhaps 25% and will stay there unless I am full off. Wha-? I don't get it. The cable works....but...? A polarity issue? I dunno, neither the tech or I have ever encountered this. :help:

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    REALLY reaching here.... but perhaps a *very* slight short somewhere in the new cable (perhaps one wayward strand).... one which can be "overpowered" when you send the full signal from your passive pups, but drops you below an input voltage "threshold" on the DI or amp when you turn down.... ???

As I said...... I'm WAY out on a limb......

3. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Yeah, anything is possible I guess tho that seems something very hard to track down. I was hoping someone had something like this happen before...?

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    That is pretty bizzare. What Canare cable did he use? I would assume GS-6 but if he took LE-46S(starquad) and used it for Hi-Z then I guess you could some how wire it funny and get some crazy cancelation I guess? Instrument cable is pretty straight forward. Tip = Hot and Ring = Shield.

If you get a chance use the cable on another bass or guitar and see what happens. Or go crazy on your tech and accuse him of sabotage :D

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Not really a recording Equip problem, so I'm moving this to Misc.

FWIW, that's nothing I've ever encountered before. Get him to re-make it, or even just re-solder that one and see what happens.

6. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Yeah, I wasn't sure about where to put it...I guess when in doubt go with misc. The cable is the GS-6. I actually had him make 2, and I will have a chance to try the other one tonight which will help isolate the variables.

7. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Well, I tried the other cable...same result. Bizarre, but consistent. So there's something about these connectors or cables or something. I could accept him messing up one cable, but 2? Curiouser and curiouser.... :eyebrow:

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The cables are miswired. Are you using TS plugs or TRS?

9. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Not sure how they can be miswired as they are just 2 conductor cables. Connectors are NEUTRIK NEU-NP2C. :confused: Seems they either should work or not work.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, I've made dozens of cables with Canare/Neutrik, and never had any bad ones. Bring 'em over and I'll take a look at them, N/C. I will bet $5 US that the problem does not lie in the components themselves. Of course, the pots in your bass could have pooped out coincidentally at the same time you got the new cables.

11. Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Negative on the coincidence factor. I tried the new cables and immediately A/B'ed with known cables. The knowns worked fine. Still not sure what's up, but I'm having the connectors soldered to another cable to isolate the culprit. I agree that the components are unlikely to be the problem but my guitar player tried the cables and they seemed OK... :confused:

Weird man....