Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bizarre pop sound on my j bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FloydFreak500, Apr 28, 2005.

1. I play a 5 string fender jazz. it has two dual-coil ceramic Noiseless™ pickups. sometimes when i am playing hard on my low b, the string sometimes hits the pick up, makeing a metallic pop sound.
    is there anything i could do besides play less hard?

2. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    You could lower the B side of your pickup a smidge.
    I have a Jazz V and had to do this.

Aminor technique adjustment might help too.
    I eventually got to where I get my thumb under it and kind of push up on the B string when I'm playing fast on the E string. The trick is getting out of there when I have to move to another string :p

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

only way I know to avoid it is to keep the string from hitting the pole. Even pups with covers (no exposed poles) will make rackett when the string strikes the cover. Raise the action/lower the pup/higher tension strings is about it to my knowledge.

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    because I was having a similar problem with my DiMarzio Model P on the E string of my P-bass, so I lowered the bass side of the pickup last night for a huge improvement.

I think the string was either narrowly missing or slightly grazing the raised polepiece (couldn't hear it acoustically), and it didn't pop, but created static that sounded like preamp clipping. I thought it WAS clipping because this is a hot pickup, so I just kept turning the input down, but that didn't eliminate the problem. I think I've cured it, and the tone is smoother now too.