Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bizarre sounds from the bass in A Love Supreme (complete suite live)

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Aaron Saunders, May 23, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    A good way into the bass solo, almost near the end, after the bowed part, there's a part where he sounds like the bassist is almost "skipping" the bow on the strings -- I'm not sure about the legitimate term for this, but it's when you bring the bow down and to the side, and the only contact the hair makes with the string is VERY short, and can often make the string click against the fretboard if the action is low enough.

He does this for a while, and then he starts doing something...crazy. It's like the bow-skipping thing, only MUCH faster, and almost sounds like he (or someone else) is doing really fast hits on the string -- kind of like a drum roll, but ON the string. What IS this? Is this him? Is he really an alien from outer space with several arms, made to turn the mere human bassists of earth look like total wussies, or is he just playing *really* fast?

PS: Is this Jimmy Garrison on bass?

PPS: Yes, this is downloaded. I only download jazz CDs until I can afford to buy them, and intend on buying this ASAP after buying the Miles 1964-1968 box set and Bill Evans - Portrait in Jazz.

2. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    That is Jimmy Garrison.

Oh wait, you do mean the live Coltrane Version from Antibes 1965, right?

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I think so! I'm not sure. Like I said, it's a downloaded version, so as far as I know, that's what one it is.

Any idea what the heck he was doing on the bass at the point I was talking about?

4. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    IF it's the Trane one, Jimmy would be known to use col legno (I think that's what it's called) whereupon you hit the string with the stick of the bow. He would do it in rapid fire successions. Mingus did this too, most notably on Tijuana Table Dance. That's probably what you mean, I think (can't listen to the cd at the moment).

Did you say "fretboard"? :mad:

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    SORRY! Fingerboard, I don't know what came over me. I've been playing 99% fretless BG for a year now, and DB for 4 months, I don't know what came over me. Sorry!

That's certainly what it sounds like! I'll check it out now.

6. Alexi, you da man! One of my DEPUTIES that I can always trust to bring truth and justice AND the American way to TBDB.......
    Aaron, sorry you have to be the one who has to recieve the brunt of this mistake.

7. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Of course............but what I REALLY wanna know is......do you do searches wit the keyword "fretbroad" and hunt down the offenders? :bag: :D

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Wel, fretboard actually describes the fingerboard above the octave for me. Cause any time I play there, I gotta worry about what's gonna come out...

9. Pickin's haven't gotten that slim. Seem to be enough Newbies around lately to keep us all busy (thank GOD and welcome to TBDB)

10. TaDa!!Brump Pa!!

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Thanks, I'm here through Wednesday. Try the veal.

12. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Funny, I just bought the 2-disc Van Gelder remaster of "A Love Supreme" two days ago and was listening to it yesterday when Garrison's col legno work (and frenzied strumming) caught my ear.

This album is quite a revelation to me; I've heard much of Coltrane's earlier stuff, but never this masterpiece in its entirety. It's giving me a whole new perspective on pedal point and thematic improvisation.

13. Masterpiece? :crying: I guess we should talk about this.
    I guess you're hearing something I ain't.

14. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Not a fan, Mr. Warburton?

15. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Then I'm guessing you like "Ascension" even more. ;) I love the emotional quality of the music on "A Love Supreme". I feel like I'm picking up on the devotional, spiritual intent Coltrane put into the music. To me there's something deep and oceanic in the feel of the sound created by Garrison, Tyner, Jones, and Coltrane.

I tend to like Coltrane best on his freer, modal stuff, as opposed to the tunes with tons of changes.

16. Like all old people, I like Trane when he was with Miles and before...
    I'm not a Prude, I went to Europe with Pharoah Sanders and I like Ornette (sometimes)
    I have no idea what you mean about "oceanic" Do you?

17. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Fuqua makes me laugh....

........."try the veal". :)

nice shot Ed.