Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BJF Blue Berry Overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nad, Jan 17, 2006.

1. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Been reading lots of threads about overdrives here, this one seems to be what I'm looking for.

As I understand the Blue Berry is special order now, and it's also really expensive so I'm a bit hesitant to order! The other pedals I'm looking at are the EBS MultiDrive, Fulltone Bass-drive, and Homebrew Hematoma. What I'm searching for is something that adds more warmth than grind (while retaining as much low end as possible), because I already have a Woolly Mammoth to cover my insane fuzz needs.

I've contacted musictoyz.com about this pedal, but is there anywhere else i can get it? Or should I go for one of the less expensive alternatives?

Cheers,
    Adrian

2. John C. Reilly

John C. Reilly

Feb 24, 2004
    I have two bbbod'd and i'd say it might be the perfect thing for you. maybe. The pedal rolls the highs quite a lot and the overdrive is more on the low freqencies. it kinda weird but the tone control adds bottom end. if you dial out some of the low end via the tone knob you lose the overdrive. it does add some breakup even at the with the gain knob near the off posistion 7'oclock. if you don't want ay overdrive just some warmth you might want to try an sib Fat drive. it's a tube eq clean boost. my i stopped using my bbbod since i got my divided by thirteen head. but i may have to put them in front of my aggie 500.

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    That really makes the Blue Berry sound even more appealing, thanks for your input.

I forgot about the Catalinbread Sagrado Pablano Picoso boost pedal, that may work too just for added warmth. Plus it's cheaper than these other pedals. :)

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I dig mine. Adds mucho warmth/fullness to my GK.

I would say try the used market, but the used market for Blueberries is next to non-existent. I bought the only one that I've ever seen for sale on TB.

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Yeah, I have a feeling stumbling across a used one will take some patience and luck. I emailed Bjorn as well, see if maybe he is willing to do a custom one.

I never thought I'd have more than 1 distortion pedal, but I've had 3 over the past 6 months so far. :D

6. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    While I have never tried the blueberry, I have tried the other three you mentioned. The fulltone and the hematoma are permanent fixtures on my board now.
    The hematoma is capable of some very warm overdrive, and there are MANY sounds in this little box. It keeps the low incredibly well. Both the fulltone and hematoma work beautifully together.

Since you said "warmth" as opposed to "grind" the hematoma in my opinion is excellent at this. It also has a toggle switch which completely shifts the EQ knob to achieve a warmer sound yet. very vintage sounding but still sounding unique.
    It also has a preamp which gives you 5db boost and adds a wonderful warmth which can be used independently OR together with the overdrive.

I believe the blueberry costs around $220-250? for $150 and $190 the hematoma and fulltone (respectively) are cheaper alternatives and I think would give you what you're looking for. Hope this helps.

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    That does help, thanks. And yeah, the Hematoma is one I'm really curious about, just haven't heard much. The price alone makes it pretty tempting, and the words "warmth" and "vintage" sell me even more. :D

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Okay, bought the Hematoma. Got a response from Bjorn, he says that yes he's still making the pedal and all US distributors can get it no problem (it's not on his website though). Will keep an eye out for the Blue Berry on the used market, and maybe toss out the dough for a new one later anyhow.

This'll be my 4th overdrive pedal in a year, and to think for many years I made due with my crappy Boss ODB-3. :D

9. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I think you will be very happy with the hematoma. :) I too have been through so many overdrives and distortions. And yes...the ODB3 was on my board for about 5 years before I got completely fed up with the sound and realized there are so many different options. (now I have 5 overdrive/fuzz pedals on my board)

I actually have the first hematoma that was available to the public. (serial #2) I put a pic of it on the distortion megathread. I emailed Joel at Homebrew after I bought the "Big D" pedal (also fantastic on bass) asking if I could buy the first hematoma.

Let me know what you think of the pedal once it arrives and you have a chance to play around with it. I'm very interested in what other people think of it, considering I don't know anyone else that has it yet.

10. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Bump for two reasons:

1) After almost a year I absolutely adore my Hematoma. It is an amazing pedal that I can't recommend higher as a bass overdrive unit. I'm very picky about losing low end on pedals, and I always have the tone control set all the way to the right on this one, so that just goes to show how much bass this pedal retains.

2) I finally tracked down a Blueberry, it's getting shipped to me right now, and I plan on doing a side by side comparison of these two pedals. I'll start a new thread when I do that, but this is just to say "hooray" for right now because these things are hard to come by, and not cheap!

11. When you get it don't hesitate to post some clips :D I'm on a search for an overdrive at the moment I have a DOD 250. I think i'm going to get either the blueberry, the ehx english muff'n or hematoma.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I would love to hear clips of these two pedals.

13. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I'm also quite curious. I've got a hematoma and I really like it, but I'm not the content type and always want to know if there is something 'better' lurking out there.

14. Get a multidrive it owns.

15. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO

Clearly the detailed explaination you have provided will guide us all to the light.

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1

[​IMG]

17. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
  18. Hey could you post some more clips of the hematoma please? I really want one now but need to hear a few more clips because I can't test one out.

19. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Here is an older clip I have from when I first got it.

20. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I will be doing a full write up very soon with numerous examples but if you care to wade through my demo I just completed, here is a track with lots of Hematoma usage:

http://www.box.net/public/static/h4v14hrk0a.mp3

Also lots of chorus, phaser, etc. All tracks are made with various basses by the way, no g****r present. :D