1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BL wants us to wear "Band" shirts.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 4-stringB, Mar 5, 2019.

1. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    Local, mostly original rockabilly, play out 1-2 times a month. BL went and bought matching shirts, from an upscale department store, for us to wear. By us, I mean bass, drums and lead. He wears something different from the rest of us. I feel like he's treating us like "his" minions, while clearly marking himself as the STAR. At our last non-band meet, (local jam), he made an issue about my not wearing the shirt at our last gig. Well, setting up my gear, the PA, the lights while they stand around noodling, just finishing up in time for the downbeat. Making too much of it? (Shut up and wear the shirt), or give him the shirt and tell him where it really needs to be?...BTW, this band does little to satisfy my musical needs, other than playing out, just something to do 'til better stuff comes along.

2. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Smurf Village
    What does the rest of band say about it?

3. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    IMO, if you're going to be a member of a band you need to be a member of the band. That sometime means doing stuff you don't love. Dressing like what you describe is pretty old school and can provide a look of unity and solidarity. BL is the lead and should stand out from the rythm section. If the others manage it you need to as well or move along. If the others are with you , then time to have a band meeting and figure out just how important it is to the BL.

I personally wouldn't mind the shirt thing - assuming it's not too cheesy or ridiculous. I wish our band would have a more consistent dress policy. We don't wear matching gear, but the rythm section tends to dress better then the front people.

4. Scottgun

Scottgun

Jan 24, 2004
    South Carolina
    Hey, at least he didn't make you pay for them.

5. Last Rebel

Last Rebel Lone Wolf - No Club Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    I thought I was the only one who handles ALL the lights and sound setup...

Guess I'm not alone... lol

But matching shirts is a common thing , I don't do it nor want it

too bad it wasn't discussed or was it?

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Since you aren't the BL, you should do it.

7. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    Are you getting paid more than the others for setting up PA and lights? That appears to be the root of your issue, and the shirt is the straw breaking the proverbial camel's back.

If , as I assume is likely, you are not compensated for the additional work, now is the time to name your price.

The the BL does not move on compensation, give him the shirt back and quit.

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Get together with the rest of the band and come to a group decision. If you are supposed to be a band of equals, I don't care for the idea, but decide together. If BL is getting you gigs and putting $$$ in your pockets...

Group decision.

9. There's probably ten guys in your city who would gladly wear the shirt, less that would provide sound and lights gratis and wear the shirt. It doesn't sound like you are in the latter group.

I agree the ruckus is not about the shirt wearing.

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    None of this matters until we see the shirts.

If the shirt is ridiculously cool, just rock it and don't worry about it.

If the shirt is just ridiculous, put your foot down and let the chips fall where they may.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    That being said, if I were in a rockabilly band, I would be doing the whole thing. I would have greased back hair, cigarettes rolled up in my sleeve (with one stuck in my ear), and a black bass with rat rod pin stripes.

I would look like Elvis's cousin that nobody in the family talked about. And I would own it.

12. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    What were y'all wearing before the shirts cam about? Did it fit the rockabilly image? If no, the BL may have a good reason for the shirts. Is the biggest issue that he wears the 'star' shirt? If it helps the overall band image, I wouldn't sweat it. If it bothers you that much, maybe it's time to leave.

13. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The rest of you should find shirts the same as the BL and wear them to the next gig. :D

14. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    None
    Ha! Sounds like @two fingers might be into that gig a wee bit more than you!:D

Sucks that BL is into the dictatorial rather than consensus thing. But that's the band you're in, so I'd say you should figure out if this project is worth the trouble. I'm with the "If you're in, you're in" school. So if you're in, you probably ought to wear the shirt. Some would say it's lame to quit a band over a shirt, but anyone can see that it's about more than that.

This gig is a kind of a placeholder, so maybe it's time to move on. Time at least to decide if you're better off in this band or out of it.

15. Problem as I see it is.....
    When you work for a band leader, it's all his call. Cause he pays you.

How you choose to respond is your call. Wear the shirt or walk. I recommend, rather then setting up all the gear, go talk to pretty girls and see if somebody else will pitch in to set up the gear. That would be a bigger problem to me.

16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Is it a puffy shirt?

17. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Or why not just have a talk with the band re: setting up. Everyone should be doing their share.

Glenn Mac, Simon Fretless and TrevorR like this.
  18. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    What name do you book under?

Maybe he is the star power

19. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

Oct 17, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    You mean like this?

e.

20. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    That would be the biggest indicator if it was my decision.

petrus61 likes this.