1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black and blue quilt top

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by krfoss, Jun 26, 2012.

1. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I was on the boards a while ago and found an image of a bass with a quilt top that was initially dyed black, sanded back, then dyed blue. It created this amazing finish, but I cant seem to find the image again. If anyone can help me out in finding that image, I'd greatly appreciate it! Finally getting around to finishing the project bass and need to see if thats the look I still want to go with. Thanks!

2. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Not sure which one you are talking about, but my Spector NS-4 has a 2-stage finish where the maple first recieves a black stain which is quickly wiped off after it is applied, followed by a blue stain. This grain-enhancing finishing procedure is common on some higher-end basses. The black pre-stain seeps into the more porous areas of the wood, but not into the tighter grained areas. Follow that with a color stain & some high gloss, and you get this...

USANS4003.

3. waterboy

waterboy

May 31, 2009
    Montgomery, AL
    That is absolutely stunning, I love transparent blues.