Black and white limba

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by boofis, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Hey
    What are they like for bodies? I've heard they are extremely light? Is that true? What are the tonal qualities? Whats the difference? Have a good one everyone! God bless!
  2. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    My upcoming nordie is being built with a black limba (korina) body. I've read that it's supposed to be pretty light, but I think that's really dependent on the piece of wood you end up getting (perhaps Carey can chime in on this... :D )
    Tonewise, it's supposed to be pretty midrangey - I remember it being described as "mahogany on steroids" or something to that effect.

White korina is apparently really light. I don't know if this varies from piece to piece or is applicable across the board. I know that there was a Benevante recently built with a white korina body - perhaps Brian can say something about it :D
  3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

I have an Elrick NJS 5 string that has a black limba body. It's incredibly light and has a fantastic tone!!

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  5. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    I just remembered that a good number of JP's basses have black korina bodies - you might wanna go check out his soundroom and listen to the soundclips while oogling at the many gorgeous basses that he's made :D
  6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    White Limba didn't sound too Mahogany like to my ears, but then again, the bass I played with a White Limba/Korina body MTD, and those basses to my ears are overly bright. It reminded me more of Ash than anything else.
  7. Is white limba the one with very small grain lines and is mostly white? I want it!
  8. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    This is a pic of the back of the bene with a white korina body while it was still under construction... hope Brian doesn't mind me posting it here :p
    The thread in which the bass appeared is here -

Is that what you were referring to?
  9. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    no problem at all using the links rusty!

Our Black Limba (Korina) has been in the wieght range of Mahogany while out White Korina has been very light, like swamp ash, yet a smoother and more even tone that rings clear like a bell.

10. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Like most woods, I believe Korina weight varies by board. However, Chris Benavente feels white Limba is lighter than dark which is why he did my ’51 PJ5 in white. Generally it is probably about the same or a little heavier than Swamp Ash IMO.

This is a good time for this thread, as I have an update regarding my Benavente. I played it through my second rig for the first time yesterday, and what a difference!

Rig 1 is Mesa Boogie 400+/SWR 410/Eden 115XLT. I’ve found the 400+ to have a slightly compressed tone which works well to tame down and focus a very deep sounding bass (eg. Lakland 55-94 w/Barts), but sounds rather thin with a mid heavy bass (Lakland 55-94 w/Basslines or the ’51 PJ with white Korina body).

Rig 2 is an Eden WT 300/210 XLT/115XLT. I’ve found this rig to sound better with mid heavy basses, but not as deep sounding as I’d like, so I was using it as a back-up until I joined a second band. That all changed when I plugged in the ’51!

I have just restrung the Benie with SIT steels and I started practice with the Bart equipped Lakland. The first request I received was to cut back on the bass. When I did, the highs/high mids got weak sounding but I compensated with some EQ tweaking and got a decent sound. During break I plugged in the Benie to hear how the strings sounded and I was real disappointed. The bass seemed light, and the highs were zingy without being bright. I felt a little let down as I have some $ into this bass. Meantime the band came in and I decided to keep playing the Benie since I already had it strapped on, and am so glad I did.

With the band going the Benavente came to life! What a sweet, sweet tone, it cut right through 2 Les Pauls and a mic’ed bass drum. I heard every note; the tone was even from string to string, everything fit. The best part was the smile on my band’s faces and I got compliments all around on the bass, even the wives came downstairs to comment.

Brian (Low End) had it right when he described Korina as having a bell like tone. It has a clear, focused sound with a blossoming tone and very good sustain. It is very solid sounding from very low to very high mids and has just a great sound, less muddy than mahogany IMO, with a better bottom, maybe not as deep but better sounding and defined. I can’t comment on suitability for a slap tone.

I’m very happy with Korina as a body wood. I’ve also learned first hand what many of the Gurus here have emphasized. A great bedroom bass can get lost in a mix, while a mediocre bedroom bass can shine in a band setting. Also, sometimes a rig change can be as important as a bass change. And finally, a tube preamped/solid state amp can sound every bit as good as an all tube amp, truly good news for an old tired back.
  11. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    There are a lot of models with limba at JPbasses.
    It s the body wood, with different top most of the time (like my coming project).
    JP used limba for a fingerboard last year.

Limba body with burl maple top:
  12. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    My warmoth black korina bass, actually turned out to be kinda heavy... Balance-wise, It's VERY body heavy.

So much so, it makes the Wenge neck feel very light,,, which surprized me. I was expecting that I'd be close to having some neck dive,,, but this didn't come to fruition.

Once strapped on, the balance doesn't present any problems,, other than just wearing your shoulder out... This bass jazz bass actually weighs MORE than my Skyline 5 stringer.
  13. Wow, there isn't an ugly bass posted in this thread!!! :eek:

Beautiful basses!