Black Arts Toneworks Black Sheep Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MarshallLaw, Feb 8, 2018.

1. i know BAT's Pharaoh is popular here, but this one looks really cool too. I like this demo more than what I've heard from the Pharaoh.

donahue, Turtle71 and SunnBass like this.
  2. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    I have also been super interested in this for a while now.
    But there is only this one demo. :(

Lammchop93 likes this.
  3. I've been hunting for a fuzz again lately, and I think I've pretty much settled on an EQD Hoof, but since the Pharaoh is so popular here and seems somewhat similar to the Hoof, I wanted to check it out. Then I came across the Black Sheep and I'm getting indecisive again. Wish I could just buy them all!

Lammchop93 and theunknowndude like this.
  4. I like the tonality of the Black Sheep, too.

If I'm not mistaken, it's based on the Roland BeeBaa — but like everything BAT does it seems, I bet the circuit's been tweaked to let more low end through.

Pharaoh is the same dealio on the lows, a muff-based circuit that's been massaged to bring the thunder.

Would love to try them all as well...

Lammchop93 likes this.
  5. we tigers

we tigers

Oct 28, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Mike Eginton of Earthless uses one and you see and hear it in their recent Rig Rundown for Premier Guitar.

MarshallLaw likes this.
  6. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I just bought a black sheep this week. Here's a comparison I put together of it and my Sarcophagus

gregmon79 and SunnBass like this.
  7. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Soooo...I assume by the classifieds link in your signature that the Black Sheep won?

Lammchop93 likes this.
  8. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Yes haha .I love both, and want to keep both, but I could use the money.

The black sheep is smoother and less gated, and it just works for my situation better

SunnBass likes this.
  9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    it's basically a BeeBaa fuzz with 4 way rotary switch that selects of 4 input capacitor values to dictate how much low end enters the circuit. i have one and i dig it.

P-oddz and Lammchop93 like this.
  10. Lammchop93

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    In
    Not sure about you, but I feel like the top depth selector has a nice mid range bump, but I can't hear a difference between the bottom 3 .at least on bass...

11. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Built by Ryan made me a clone a couple years back. I’ve since traded it off. But I really liked it. It has really nice low end response and was pretty good in a live mix. So imo it’s a winner overall. Not perfect. But good. There were only 2 positions I found usable though. I can’t remeber which was which. I just decided to move on from the beebaa sound. Otherwise I’d still have it.

12. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i hear a difference on the bottom 3 but it's subtle.

13. P-oddz

P-oddz

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I also built a clone of this one. I agree with JohnK, the difference is subtle on the selector switch.

14. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    i also made a clone of one and added a little more top end to it, since i found my clone to be a bit too dark.

15. I recently picked up an EQD Hoof Reaper, which is currently scratching all of my fuzz itches. But I know I will eventually want something else, and the Black Sheep is still high on that list.