1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black as a '70's Fender "custom color"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 9mmMike, May 7, 2010.

1. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Been on the hunt for another light-weight '70's P-bass and have been seeing some ads for black basses that are sometimes called "custom".
    Was black a special order from Fender in the seventies or is this creative advertising?
    Have seen some interesting black with rosewood Fenders. That seems like an unusual combo but not something I'd think of as special order or custom.
    Thanks!

2. Meyatch

Meyatch Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I'm not sure when black became a standard color, but it absolutely was a custom color in the 60s.

3. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Thanks! Anyone else have some intel on this?

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I recall that by '78 when I moved to NY, black P-basses and Jazzes were occasionally seen on the wall of music stores. They became much more common in the '80s.

I also seem to recall early Squier basses were black with white pickguards.

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I have a black body, black pickguard, maple board Precision (like Roger Waters played, also Aimee Mann on the "Voices Carry" video), that is a 1978 model according to the neck decal. I acquired it new on clearance from a music store in early 1981. A friend of mine has one that looks exactly like it although I believe that one may either be a 77 or 79.

So I don't know when exactly a switch from "custom" to "standard" for black would have occurred, but by the late 70s to very early 80s it appears you could find them pretty easily.

6. mokl

mokl

Mar 2, 2006
    I've got a black `77 Jazz, although I thought they were fairly common?!

7. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Black was a standard Fender color by the '70's.