1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BLACK BASS OWNERS PICKGUARD???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by unclebass, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

That's the problem with asking about color options…you get a million opinions on a very subjective topic. What's right? What's wrong? There's nothing wrong with suggestions and ideas. Maybe someone will throw out an option you didn't think of. Only you, unclebass, can decide what you like best.

That being said, here's something that might help you envision what works best for you;

http://www.warmoth.com/Pickguard/JBassPickguard.aspx

Warmoth's site has a custom pickguard builder. Although it's not capable of giving you "every option under the sun", it can show off a fair number of color schemes, including a few that aren't available "off the shelf".

Something else you need to keep in mind, if you haven't done so already. You're going to be looking for a Jazz pickguard with a Precision pickup slot. Unless I miss my guess, that's a bit of a rarity 'round these parts. I know it's not impossible to find. The Warmoth pickguard-thingie can simulate it. Hell, they can probably make one for you that costs about the same as an "off the shelf" pickguard.

Now for some personal opinion…I'm a big fan of the "less is more/minimalist" esthetic. If I had an all-black bass that needed a pickguard (my naked Aerodyne notwithstanding) I'd probably get a black/red/black. That little red pin-stripe outlining the pickguard, effectively framing the neck pickup and finger plucking areas, would highlight that whole area without getting too splashy or gaudy. At least, that's what I would do, 'cause lemme tell ya, I would love to have a Blacktop Jazz in my hands, even just to try it out for a while.

Good luck with your hunt! Send us pics of what you eventually choose!

2. micgtr71

micgtr71

Dec 4, 2012
    [​IMG][/IMG]

dark tortoise on the jazz...white on the squire p

3. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I have three basses with tort pickguards and I do not care all that much for tort! One of the three is also sunburst which I don't particularly care for either but sunburst and tort together do look rather nice! The other two are black and they look just like all the other black/tort/rosewood basses shown here so far. It's not bad and so far I have not come up with anything that looks enough better that I have been willing to change the pickguards. Black on black with rosewood looks only slightly better than tort. Black on black with maple looks more interesting. Black with black pearloid looks a tiny bit better than black with tort. I hope people keep posting pictures, maybe someone has found a combination that will grab my interest too.

Ken

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    31F49D8F-6A31-45F7-81C6-17B3442C24D9-13468-0000084BDB7110E7.jpg
    Well at the moment I have to go with white....but on a black Fender J or P I think it has to be Tort.

5. jweber76

jweber76

Aug 10, 2011
    Attleboro, Ma
    Here are my black ones...
    IMAG1288.jpg
    IMG00240-20110413-2141.jpg
    IMAG1020-1.jpg
    IMG_0182-1.jpg
    The bronco is getting a gold guard in the near future, the strat is an aged white, both Ps started out with white but the Squier single ply guards were ugly and poorly cut, of course if you have the option black with no guard is always the hotness...

6. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Here are some options from the Warmoth site for anyone who, like me, has trouble visualizing how a complete bass might look based on a rendition of the pickguard alone.

Ken

blackjazzpgoptions4a_zps0db36cce.jpg

blackjazzpgoptions4b_zps14e1b9c2.jpg

arca_tern likes this.
  7. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Black on Black...

8. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    This is great! Mind posting this verison with a MAPLE neck???:help:

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    White. I'm thinking about a black pearloid.

Magpie-01.jpg

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Pretty much any color goes with black, but I much prefer black/black.

KenSadowsky1.jpg

11. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Yeah, I'll try. When I get something done I will attach the images to this post. Everyone else is going to have to imagine these jazz basses are whatever bass they have, however....

Ken

blackjazzpgoptions5a_zpsbb254f0d.jpg

blackjazzpgoptions5b_zps876a6d26.jpg

arca_tern likes this.
  12. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Proudly Supporting Moody Leathers
    How about a nice mirror finish...

9543_artist.jpg

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021