1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black basses with Gold hardware...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diesel Kilgore, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Anybody got anything to show?

I'm really liking the Midnight series of basses and guitars from Fender.

Thinking of doing something like that with a gold bridge, tuner and knob swap on my black LTD. Would look killer with my favorite set of black tapes or even the new LaBella gold flats or gold tapes.

2. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    [​IMG]
    D89EBE75-25A8-426D-95E0-46A137504ACA.
    [​IMG]

BassmanM, knumbskull and Mili like this.
  3. Floppystrings

Floppystrings

Apr 5, 2019
    I just wish gold didn't wear off so easily, I especially like the gold magnets on this. I think this was a $500 option back in the day, can anyone confirm?

Attached Files:

John Keith likes this.
  4. This is my MIJ PJR JBS. Came originally with gold color “Y” tuners and bridge. I swapped in some Gotoh lightweight tuners (different shape, but I think they work—Gotoh parts on a MIJ bass makes sense to me, and I perceive them as somewhere between Y and clover shape). Also, I swapped in some EMG Geezer PJ’s, and it’s about to receive an EMG preamp. The new preamp will involve stacked knobs, so I need to switch from these stock knobs in some manner. I see similar coloring, with gold knobs in the Ibanez picture above—but I know that that’s not an exact match to what my results would be. To go with gold knobs or not, is the question, opinions welcome! I kind of wonder whether there is something out there in terms of a gold stacked “speed” or “top hat” style knob, but haven’t seen anything in a stacked version so far.
    upload_2019-4-27_11-1-49.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Malak the Mad likes this.
  5. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I think they work, too! I dig that "Bat-Signal" shape! :thumbsup: I just wish that design was more common, or at the very least, easier to find for standard Fender peg-holes.

6. Malak the Mad

knumbskull and Mili like this.
  7. DrSteve

DrSteve Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2008
    North Delaware
    Hofner 500_2. Not a Fender or LTD, but Black and Gold Hofner 500/2 is killer.

8. Thanks for the comments and photos. Sweet basses y’all have there. I think I will press forward with gold knobs, they look good in various photos.

9. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    If you're going gold, why not go gold?
    [​IMG]

Caca de Kick, Datsgor and knumbskull like this.
  11. Nice on the maximum gold thing. I’ll need to go back and watch some old Bond 007 Goldfinger... haha

hypercarrots, I was checking out that type of knob (your red bass picture) too, for a bold look, those look good as an option.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  12. We need some Aria pro black and gold owners in here!

13. PS that should be renamed as a Blingray
    ——————————

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Bunk McNulty and Malak the Mad like this.
  14. Malak the Mad

It's just my opinion, but to me the trick is to find that line between "just enough" and "too much". Go to far and it could become blingy to the point of tackiness. That's why I specifically wanted a gold bridge that had some elements of black in it. I feel the black screws and springs continues the "black vs. gold" contrast while still keeping it balanced.

Mind you, if it's a high level of blinginess you want to achieve, go right ahead. After all, it's your bass. ;)

15. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    24A1328E-BC17-4A4C-8B2E-BED7E5DD9934.

16. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I've got a KRB-105 too.

IMG_20190419_195125.

17. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    Gold hardware doesn't work for me. Must be something about the individual chemistry of my sweat, I guess. I learned long ago that no matter how conscientiously I wipe it down after use, it always winds up looking corroded and nasty. For some reason, nickel and chrome don't react that way to my use. Hence, I won't buy anything that sports gold hardware, no matter how tastefully done.

For those of you not so afflicted: enjoy!

18. Malak the Mad

That's a good reason not to indulge. My wife has a similar thing going. For example, if I gave her a sterling silver ring to wear, within a week or two it'd be almost black. o_O

19. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Black & gold checking in...

Attached Files:

nbsipics likes this.
  20. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    IMG_20190118_203205.