Black Beauties Strings Question

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Hutch801, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Hutch801

Hutch801

Jan 29, 2022
    Hi everyone I wanted to see if my experience with Black Beauties Strings from DR was unique. They are some of my favorite sounding strings but the g string went completely dead in a month. I know you need to crimp before you cut them, but still went dead very fast. The rest of the strings held up really well but the g was gone so fast. Was I unlucky or is this a issue for others? I have seen reviews mention this but I wanted to see if anyone on here experienced the same thing?

2. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    They look cool, but die quickly, lose the coating where they contact the frets and or pick, and give me a rope burn effect sliding. I just use the DR sunbeams for the same feel and tone without the issues.

Hutch801, Yahboy and michael_t like this.
  3. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Commercial User

Sep 16, 2013
    Ontario Canada
    Retail store manager
    They’re one of the best sounding sets I’ve used but for me, have about 10hrs or 3-4 shows of life in them. They start out sounding like a grand piano and end up sounding like any other old string pretty quickly.

Hutch801 likes this.
  4. Hutch801

Hutch801

Jan 29, 2022
    I will need to give the sunbeams a shot next time I change strings.

5. marionobilio

marionobilio

Jan 23, 2011
    I have had very good luck with the Black Beauties and use them on most of my basses.

6. KaraQ

KaraQ

Apr 19, 2020
    Sacramento, CA
    I've got a set on one of my Thunderbirds, never had any problem with them. But it's the only set of Black Beauties I've had so......
    (I tend to use the DR neon coated strings more....)

7. At one time I had Black Beauties on both my short scales. Tone was a little muddier than I like now but at the time in the band it worked. Lasted me a long time. Maybe I just got lucky?

srayb likes this.