Black Beauties

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by themickster, Jul 29, 2020.

1. themickster

themickster

Oct 4, 2015
    England
    Do Black Beauties they have the same flaking problem as the other makes of black strings?

2. Bret Music

Bret Music

Jun 29, 2020
    Ohio USA
    I had a pair on for a week or so and loved the tone of these but they had to much grip. Didn't bother my fret hand so much as my plucking hand. It really bothered me, felt sticky everytime i played it. If you were a pick only guy they are great for that or should i say i enjoyed them when using a pick. When i took them off i noticed some bare wire showing through in spots. But never seen any of the coating on my bass while cleaning between string change. Looking for suggestions for DR strings with same tone without the black coating.

3. Black Beauties are coated stainless steel on a round core. So, maybe try the Sunbeams, which are nickel-plated steel on a round core.

Bret Music likes this.
  4. DCCat

DCCat

Jan 20, 2020
    Northern Virginia
    Choose for yourself based on these clips at the DR site:

https://www.drstrings.com/sound-samples

IMO, the K3 coated strings (probably Black Beauties or similar) sound most similar to the Hi-Beams ... which are stainless round core. So the BBs are most likely coated HBs.

Bret Music likes this.
  5. asparaguspee

asparaguspee

Sep 10, 2020
    Australia
    I had them on my Jazz bass as well. Lovely dark sound but too grippy for me. Tried them for a few weeks but just couldn't gel with them and took them off.

petch and Bret Music like this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021