Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

black box vs. dredge...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    how does the x-ray compare against the dredge angler?

is the x-ray worth the extra money?

i'm looking for a unit that will dirty up my signal a substantial amount, but WON'T bury me under drums and guitar (and vocals...eventually!).

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I can't comment on the X-Ray, but I can on the Dredge-Tone. In my opinion, the Dredge-Tone Angler is the best overdrive I have ever heard for bass. In the past I have owned a Boss ODB-3, a Fulltone Bassdrive, a Buddah Phat-Bass, a Big Muff Pi, and have played through a Rat, a Sans Amp Bass DI, Marshall Blues Breaker, and several other overdrive/distortion pedals. This is the best of them. It sounds much more like true tube overdrive than even the Fulltone, which sounded weak and anemic to me.

Considering that I own a Kern IP-777 all tube pre an Aguilar DB 728 all tube power amp, and an SWR Megaliath 8x10 cab, I consider myself pretty qualified to say this really sounds like an overdriven tube amp.

You can get mild wool around the note decay to full out my-tubes-are dying-and-I-don't-care grunge. Someone described the full-on sound like a tube amp that is being played through as you turn it off. That, I would say, is pretty accurate. Best $115.00 you could spend.

3. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i've tried both and i think they are both really good overdrive pedals. the angler has the best overdrive i've heard in a pedal. it has a creamier overdrive sound while the xray is more biting. i think the angler sounds better by itself but the xray bass cuts through better with other instruments plus it has true bypass. they're both great, i had a hard time deciding which one to give up but in the end i chose the xray bass.

-steve

4. Lo-Z don't you own a Frantone Lo-Tone as well or am I way off on that? Folks seem to like that as well. Ever compared the Angler to an EBS MultiDrive by chance?

5. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Yep, I own a Lo-Tone. Great fuzz. I usually set the Angler up for light overdrive, and the Lo-Tone for heavy fuzz, (think Freddie's Dead.)

I remember trying the Multi-drive at a store in Boston a while back, but I can't remember anything about it except that it was like the Bassdrive, a little too well mannered.

6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i think the angler sounds better by itself but the xray bass cuts through better with other instruments plus it has true bypass.

thanks, steve. that just decided it for me.

so, you finally tried it out with your band, eh? and i reckon it worked out real well.

i have an ODB-3, but recently at a rehearsel, i turned on the effect and lost my sound under the drums and guitar. couldn't hear myself at all! and when we taped a performance (using a ghetto blaster-type deal), i couldn't tell that there were some parts that were distorted!

so i'm looking for a good distortion pedal that's not-so-subtle.

i heard about the x-ray (from stevekim) and i thought "that is IT." then i heard about the angler, and was conflicted.

now i know what i definitely will get whenever i can afford it...