1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by karter2000, Oct 11, 2006.

1. karter2000

karter2000

Aug 21, 2005
    Nowhere land
    Hello,

I've been interested in a Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz for a long time. Does anyone own one of these and what is your opinion of them (sound, build quality, etc)?

Thanks,

Lyle

2. DMX

DMX

Mar 10, 2006
    Oxford, UK
    I have one. I'd describe it as a very old-school fuzz. I also used to own a PE Depth Charge, and while they're both supposed to be based on the Maestro Brassmaster the PE sounds absolutely huge, a massive wall of fuzz, whereas the Black Cat is much more subtle, for want of a better word. The fuzz sound by itself is very nasal and harsh but adding in clean sounds helps warm it up, and you can get a nice wooly 60s type fuzz or flick both switches on for a crunchier sound. I've never been able to get a really nice big, high gain, long sustaining fuzz tone out of it though.
    Constuction is...... sturdy but rudimentary I'd say. It's very basic but feels reaonably strong.
    What sort of thing are you thinking of using it for?

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The Black Cat is like the cheaper, bigger brother to the Depth Charge. The controls are less intuititively designed than those of the Depth Charge. The main difference is one switch setting that is useless for bass (it's like a guitar voicing switch). Both are in the same ballpark, but the Depth Charge is in a different league altogether. It's controls are easier to setup, it's casing is more solid, and it's freaking orange. :D

At the end of the day, both get their jobs done, but if you have an extra bill handy, go for the PE.

4. karter2000

karter2000

Aug 21, 2005
    Nowhere land
    Thanks for the replys,

I wouldn't be using it for anything specific. I'm just a bit of a fuzz nut (if you look at my profile you'll see that I own a few). I was looking for a fuzz that closely mimiced the Maestro Brassmaster. While I knew that the Black Cat was based on that, I didn't realize that the PE was based on the Maestro Brassmaster. I've heard enough good things about the PE that I may have to buy one!

Lyle

5. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    +1
    But my depth charge is blue. :(
    Must have been painted on a sad, rainy day.

6. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Naww.. I think they just paint them randomly these days. Mine is stone.
    [​IMG]

PS: Someone described the black cat as nasal, and I have to agree. I prefer the depth charge.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021