Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black Cat BOF vs. PE Depth Charge

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flatwound, May 15, 2002.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Both Brassmaster-type pedals. The Depth Charge is a coupla bucks more than the Black Cat, and they differ in knobs and switches and so on, but I'd like to know if anybody has experience with them, and if one is demonstrably better than the other. I'm leaning toward the Black Cat, but nobody seems to have any boutique pedals where I live, so I can't try either before buying.

2. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yes, Boognish, the Bass Octave Fuzz. I'd like to hear whatever you can tell me about it. I e-mailed them, and Fred Bonte said they had eliminated all the pops and clicks, because I asked him specifically about that. If you have any mp3's with this pedal, I'd love to hear them, too.

Thanks.

3. i don't have any mp3's to share, sorry.
    but as with any pedal, you'll have to mess around with it.
    Even with the drive and effect all the way up (normal up too), one can still hear the normal drive very very well. I think the review in bass player describes it the best. Or you can go to www.analogman.com and read what he has to say.

I play punk... and with the harmonic and filter switch in the "down" position (if i recall correctly), it gives you almost a muted fuzz sound...but the "normal" still pushes thru the mix, this is good for us since we just have one guitarist (don't need or want more than 1).
    From a live recording we did(pool party) it sounds as if there is a guitarist playing rythm. If you know Sonic Reducer by the Dead Boys, you will know what I'm talking about.
    Hope this helps you out.
    I'm not very good at Onomatopoeia's (sp?)

4. benevan

benevan

May 2, 2002
    Memphis
    I've not heard of anyone who has used the Depth Charge which is surprising considering that is has been out for several years. The reviews on Harmony Central are all good, but I like you would like to hear some sound clips for this pedal as well as the BOF.

The thing that piques my interest with these pedals is the ability to blend the clean signal with the fuzz. The Chunk Fuzz also has this ability. I will probably eventually buy them all and try them, but which to start with? Mad Subwoofer, you have the Chunk. How does it measure up?

5. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Well, I just went on eBay, and lo and behold, here's a new demo BOF for $129 BIN. So I'll know all about it pretty soon.

6. Knew I was lurking around this thread didn't you? I've always wanted the DC. My Chunk is cool and very well built. No tone control which isn't a liability but it would have been nice. The gate is worth the price alone. I can get some wild tones with that....I like it allot.

[​IMG]

7. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i had one of those black cats. i wasn't too impressed with it's construction. the pressed aluminum chassis seemed a little cheap to me and the switch popped. i remember it sounding pretty good but decided that fuzz wasn't my thing. i'd love to try a depth charge.

8. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    hey mad,

is that chunk pedal true bypass?

steve

9. Flatwound

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
  10. I don't beleive so...I know the Agent 00Funk wasn't. I use a Morgan Miller CPR so I don't care. Check out the sound bites;
    http://www.chunk.com.au/fz002sound.htm