1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Black colored strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SDGRfreak, Apr 14, 2006.

1. hey,
    i heard someone talking about black colored strings the other day and i didnt know there was such a thing. If anyone knows anything about them(ie...sound, brands, quality) please let me know cause im interested in buying a set.

thanks

2. DR makes the Black Beauties. I've never used the Black Beauties, but I've used the Red Devils. They didn't seem to cut through very well, IMO. They had a muted quality, at least on my bass through my amp.

3. anchorsteam

anchorsteam

Nov 17, 2005
    woodstock, ny
    i've used the black beauties a 1/2 dozen times and they are . . . well consistant. they start out somewhat muted but they stay that way for a long time (year +).

as a long-time rotosound user, they ( the DR Black Beauties) took some getting used to. i did go back to the roto's because for that three week period, the roto's just have so much character.

4. after some time the black coatin wears off.

5. I never stuck with the colored strings long enough to get used to them. they just aren't for me, I guess. They look cool though.

6. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    +1

They sound very good on the bass I use in the jazz band tho, in that context the sound sits just fine. I really dislike the sound and muted top end when doing most things, but for the fingerstyle stuff, sambas, and latin tunes I play electic on in the jazz band they sit very well.

7. thanks guys

8. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I have to say, I like 'em! I tune down to "Gospel" tuning, A-D-G-C-F on my main axe, and they really sing! A little squeaky at first, but once they're worked in, not bad!

Black Diamond also makes a coated string, but I've not been able to find a retailer local to me to try them out (incl. L&M), but I've read about them online here:

http://www.blackdiamondstrings.com/