1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black Country Communion

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by NOLA Bass, Oct 19, 2010.

1. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Endorsing artist: Bergantino Audio Systems
    I can't believe this does not seem to have a thread yet considering Glenn Hughes is involved. For those that don't know, this is the new collaboration featuring Glenn Hughes on bass and vocals, Joe Bonamassa on guitar and vocals, Jason Bonham on drums and Derek Sherinian on keyboards.

It is a great rock record!!! Rarely do these "supergroups" live up to billing, but I haven't stopped listening to it since I got it this weekend.

Check it out. The website has a free song download.

www.bccommunion.com

2. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I've had it for a couple weeks now and, although I like it, I wish Bonamassa had more vocals (only about two songs).

And if I was Derek Sherinian I'd be p!ssed as 85% of the record is a power trio. Plus since he doesn't add a vocal you've got to wonder what was the point as he's hardly used.

3. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    I've been enjoying this record a lot. These guys really do live up the billing. After listening to this record a lot, I'm certainly hoping that they will be doing some more. I've read that JB is certainly open to it.

4. neurotictim

neurotictim Gold Supporting Member

^ What he said.

Also, as much as I enjoy it, many of the songs could very well be unreleased Zeppelin tracks, which is a good thing and a bad thing.

5. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Although there are a couple "Zeppelinisms", I thought it was more Audioslave meets Deep Purple. :)

6. neurotictim

neurotictim Gold Supporting Member

I could see that. Never was a big fan of Audioslave, though, so my first thought was Zep.

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I saw Bohham's band many years ago, opening for ELP... Glad to hear he finally learned to play (he was still figuring it out back then, I think)

8. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I dig the album, it hails back to the hard-blues rock of the early 70's to me. At 60, Hughes is still a mofo of a singer.

9. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Endorsing artist: Bergantino Audio Systems
    Yeah, Hughes is really killing it for a guy born in '52. I turn 40 next week, and it is way past time to get myself in some better shape! LOL!

Well, I'm really digging the record. There is such a shortage of good rock, I think it is great to hear something new (even if it harks back to the classic era). Hoping they tour and work on more material.

10. My thoughts exactly!!! I think the intro is one of the best bass intros in Rock!!!

11. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    Just picked this up on itunes, and it's fantastic! The bass riff that opens that album is great, and Glen gets some pretty interesting tones throughout. I thought "Song of Yesterday" was really interesting, and the riff for "Beggarman" was super heavy. Which is the song with the humming at the end? Was that "Song of Yesterday"? Man, that was neat...gave it a kind of a "Hey Jude" touch. The last track "Too Late For The Sun" was pretty cool too.

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Oddly, I loaned this to my guitarist who's listening /playing habbits are right in this genre.....
    ....he thinks it's one of the worst albums ever. :confused:

13. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I am a Glenn Hughes superfan & I've been eagerly anticipating this record for some time now. I think it's fantastic! Song For Yesterday & Great Divide are my faves. Beggarman kicks too. Supposedly they're headed to the studio in early 2011 to record a follow up.

14. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    lol I love the album, but I can't get over how the intro to "One Last Soul" sounds like the riff from "Starbreaker" by Judas Priest

15. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Ha! I never noticed that before, so true! But "One Last Soul" has a way better chorus than Starbreaker.

Speaking of, have you ever noticed that "Hell Bent For Leather'' sounds a lot like "Stormtroopin'" by Ted Nugent ?

16. Toronto Bassist

Toronto Bassist

Jan 9, 2008
    Toronto
    Actually, Starbreaker is one of my favourite Judas Priest songs, so :spit: they're both good tunes, though.

I had never heard that Ted Nugent song before, but boy that triad run is pretty much identical. Anyone catch the interview with Glen Hughes in the latest issue of Bass Player? It's pretty sweet.

17. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    I listened to this today... and what I wound up thinking is that I've heard all of this before-- cliches separated by guitar solos.

I don't much like Bonamassa's playing and sound, which really color this record, so that's probably a large part of it.

18. Thundar

Thundar Don't talk old to me Supporting Member

WOW....my local classic rock/blues radio station has been playing "One Last Soul" heavily, and I never knew who it was..LOL....totally friggin' dig this!! Im a long time Hughes fan, and a big Bonamossa fan...awesome stuff!

19. Great stuff, always loved Hughes. Just saw Bonamassa in the spring, great show.

20. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    As a longtime Hughes fan it's nice to see him on a recent creative high (so to speak) after his self imposed 15 year exile.