Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black & Death Metal Sperm Donors

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Having been inspired by some great music shown to me in the Death and Black Metal threads I decided to create this. Prior to a few weeks ago , my only knowledge of those two genres was their precursors. So I figured I'd make a thread about the bands that gave birth to death and black.

First of all Celtic Frost. BA'DOOM!!!!! Into the Pandemonium is one of my favorite metal records of all time.It's so friggin versatile and almost.....nuclear really. I love it. Mega Therion and Vanity Nemesis are also awesome albums.

then we have Venom, Black Metal, need I say more?

Mercyful Fate- King Diamond less polished with alot of grime and blackish blood. Love it. KD's solo stuff is really cheesy but MF is cool as hell

Death - It's in the name, all in the name and one of the most evil looking album covers of all time :
    [​IMG]

Not to mention evil sounding.....

Ok , your turn, name some cool proto-Death/Black metal Stuff.

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Actually, I find Scream Bloody Gore one of the weakest Death albums...

proto black, hmmm, Bathory!

[​IMG]

3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Every Death album is great. If your into their older stuff check out Leprosy, Spiritual Healing and Human. Human is my favorite of those 3...But after Human they got more technical and recorded in my opinion their best work on albums like Individual Though Patterns, Symbolic and The Sound of Perserverence.

Also check out Obituary's "Slowly We Rot" and "Cause For Death" for classic old school death metal. Morbid Angel, Deicide, Sadus and Athiest might be worth checking out too.

For proto Black Metal Celtic Frost, Venom and Bathory were the pioneers. You might also like the erlier stuff from BM bands like Dark Throne, Immortal and Mayhem.

4. [​IMG]

The coolest Celtic Frost album cover.

I reaaaaaaaaalllllyyy like CF. Tom Warrior seems like a Luciferian Commentator when he sings.

I really want this jacket too!:D

[​IMG]

5. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Do you own Celtic Frost's "Morbid Tales"? I didn't see that one mentioned...if not thats a must buy!

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I ended up getting rid of "Scream Bloody Gore." It suffers from the 80s reverbed metal sound that early Megadeth had, but it also had more fast beats, so it just annoyed me.

7. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Big +1 on the Obituary and Morbid Angel. "Cause of Death" was the album that really grabbed my attention and got me into Death Metal. Also, you should check out Bolt Thrower's older stuff...:bassist: \m/:bassist:

Shawn

8. Yeah , I have everything up till 1988's disaster poo album.

I've been digging Barthoy, Kreator, & Athiest as well.

Oh yeah, and Death's Sound of Perseverence is CHAOS!
    I picked it up last night and it totally kills.

9. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Cryptopsy's "None So Vile" is an essential death metal album, and I also recommend their live DVD.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

What he means by "proto" death and "proto" black is bands that paved the way for the genres. Cryptopsy is aweeeesome, but they are hardly proto anything.

11. +1 on Bathory

Mayhems's "Deathcrush" is generally considered the first actual black metal record.

Dissection (although a bit later) were one of the first bands to do melodic death, (which I much prefer to the real stuff;)), does that count?

Incidentally, I was hoping for something more amusing than this when I clicked on this thread:D

12. kubacki

kubacki Guest

May 24, 2003
    Brunswick, Me
    Mayhem's De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is essential!

13. You´ve forgotten
    Napalm Death
    Terrorizer
    Cancer
    And Incubus
    but the one who covers everything is POSSESSED ( That´s really fu*"#*%$ extreme metal)

14. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I forgot about Cancer...they were real good. Thier guitar player James Murphy played in a bunch of great bands. He was in Death, Obituary, Disincarnate and Testament. BTW, Disincarnate is sick tech/death metal.

Terrorizer, wasn't that a Morbid Angel side project band? I've never heard them...any good?

Pestilence is a good one to check out if your into bands like Athiest and Death. Their first 2 albums are more traditional death/thrash metal...but they got more progressive on their last 2 "Testimony of the Ancients" and "Spheres."

15. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    My bad. I missed the "proto" part hidden in there.

16. Terrorizer was a project of really brutal death/grindcore metal.
    They only released 1 album and a split with 2 other bands.
    Terrorizer was one of the angular stones on the early 80´s scene.
    The line up was:
    Oscar Garcia: Vocals (he also had a band called Nausea)
    David Vincent Bass & Vocals (Morbid Angel)
    Jesse Pintado: Guitar (Napalm Death)
    Pete Sandoval: Drums (Morbid Angel)

[​IMG]

17. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    [​IMG]

"Death Metal... Death Metal... KILL THEM PIGS"

18. Fong249

Fong249

May 25, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Now, You may all shun me for saying this, but I'm a big dimmu fan. Lately i've been listening to Black Dahlia Murder (Very catchy... dag.) and Cannibal Corpse. Cant over look them. Cant tell which song is playing, but cant over look them.

19. CARCASS! Innovative in both grind and non-Gothenburg melodeath.

I mean, Heartwork? Increddddible. Jeff Walker wasn't much of a bassist (as he's the first to admit) but his vocals are just amazing.

[​IMG]

Also- as for Celtic Frost- +1 million, people. Those first three records are amazing. Haven't heard much of Vanity/Nemesis besides the vid for "Wine In My Hand (Third From the Sun)" which was so-so for a Frost song and basically just showed them playing in an empty dark city and smashing stuff in the dressing room. Come on, Tom- you're better than thaaaat :rolleyes:.

The new record is gonna rule though, I just know it.

20. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Hell yea!! Heartwork is amazing. The perfect balance of groove and brutality.