Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black eye Peas - show me the love

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by yoshi, Oct 17, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Note: Based on observation, I have no deep knowledge of the band or their activities.

..what a disgrace, this songs a joke.

Has anyone seen it performed live on TV? I saw it today and realised how disgusting the whole thing is; them guys on stage dont appear to give a damn about the lyrical content and meaning of the song, for instance the many areas where the female vocalist states something about some kids dying and some blinged up black guy busts out a 'orr-yeeeah!' as backing?!.

Anyone else have similar views/info on the band totally disprving my first impressions (if so I apologise sincerely).

Edit: Sorry this isnt in recordings, but its more about the song/band/performance as opposed the recording.

Id also like to point out that I@m not one of those trendy hippys who walk around protesting about war and capitalism then going into burger king talk about assassinating bush.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i tohught its called "where is the love"?

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Thats irrelavant....

:oops: ;)

4. ya know, i really like that song and the message it is supposed to portray, but then, i agree with you yoshi, that likely, the song is all a bunch of hypocricy..

oh well.

5. to me the most annoying thing about the song is that it's still at no.1 in the UK charts.
    it's getting really monotonous.

please, Kylie, someone, get to no.1 instead...

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

And the main "melody" is quiet clearly ripped off from somewhere else - is it "Torn" - I generally watch TOTP and hate most of it lately, but it just struck me - why isn't somebody suing?

The Texas song was the same! It seems to be - we've run out of ideas - so we set the drum machine to 'repeat', steal a melody from some other old song that we hope nobody remembers and use if for the "chorus" - then we get some cool-looking black dudes to rap over what would be the "verse" - instant song! No work required - no composition or songwriting skills/ideas needed!! :rolleyes:

But I did like the Suede song! ;)

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Presumably they did get permission?

Either way, it's really not very original, and there seems to be a lot of it about lately. That's not what I call songwriting.

8. which song is that ripped off?
    I think the verse sounds like that Sugar Ray song "every morning there's a halo...etc" .

9. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I've noticed that too.

10. ahah! yea! i too have noticed it sounds quite familiar!