Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black Finger NOISEE!(not HISS)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by [SD], Feb 24, 2005.

1. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    hi, i just received an used Black finger i bought on ebay. It seems completely new! MINT!....BUT it makes some serious noise, not hiss!. I've teste some other Black Fingers at stores and none of them had that noise. When i touch the metal box of the pedal and my bass the noise goes away so i'm thinking it's some kind of ground or faulty conection problem.

What you ppl think?

Might it be the valves (both seem to light up)

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Grounding issue it is! Time to open it up and see what the problem is, as long as you're sure it's not your bass.
    Look for a loose wire somewhere, most likely that's the culprit.

Ray

3. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    i just opened it and there were no loose cables. The input and output jacks were in perfect shape. Tha electricity input is also ok :eyebrow: I'll connect my passive bass to see what happens

4. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    it's the pedal even without no instryument conected it makes noise

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Just for redundancy, when you plug straight to the amp, do you get any noise?

Ray

6. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    nope, i don't get any noise at all!

I already tested the pedal with my passive bass and my active bass on both passiva and active modes. When i turn up the post gain control the gain becomes louder and when i touch the bass and the pedal it goes away and only stays the normal noise one woule expect from a pedal. The noise happens in all modes with all types of settings. I cannot find any wires inside that can cuase such a problem then pedal seems new! and both valves work great and the pedal sounds amazing( when i touch it with my feet :p )

7. atoni

atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
    Try to put your pedal adaptor and amp power cable to the same plug on your wall.

8. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    they are in the same plug in the wall :bawl:

9. atoni

atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
    Ok. Sometimes you can get static if you use different wall plugs. Ie. singers who play guitars get electric shocks from mics if their guitar amp and rehearsal pa for singing are in differnet wall plugs.

Maybe the problem is this which I've noticed here:http://harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Electro_Harmonix/Black__Finger_Sustainer-01.html

"...there has been complains about annoying static units sounds from malfunctioning units..."

But I hope it is just a minor ground problem.