Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black Finger or LPB 2ube

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zillo, Sep 25, 2005.

1. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    Hi:

Can you help a tube nube? What's the "on the ground" difference between what these two would accomplish?

I am thinking that a tube something between my bass and my head to warm things up, maybe add some note clarity? It seems that a lot of heads have a tube in the preamp to wwarm things up.

I play blues, reggae, old r &B. One's a preamp, one's a compressor...what's the difference here as far as achieving what I'm after?

Dumb question probably>

2. DrakeWeiss

DrakeWeiss

May 14, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I have an Ampeg PF800 and a Hartke Kilo (3-12ax7wa tubes). Both units have standard compressors. Recently, I picked up the EHX Black Finger. The reason I got another compressor is cause this one has a squash compression effect which seems to add some mass/thickness to the higher notes. It didn't take long to dial in some solid settings, and it sounded great on both amps. Trying different tubes in the pedal can make a nice noticeable difference. This pedal helped balance the output of each bass string. Before, my "A" 2nd string always sounded weaker than the others... not anymore. The Electro-Harmonix BF is a great pedal. I would like to try the LPB 2ube pedal, but I probably wouldn't have a use for it unless it really did something spectacular. My Kilo has overdrive, which is a great sound when dialed in correctly. I also have a distortion/fuzz pedal to give it some serious sizzle. The LPB 2ube has some cool features, but I doubt I need them. I needed the EHX-BF though!