1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Black Finger or LPB 2ube

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zillo, Sep 25, 2005.

1. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    Hi:

Can you help a tube nube? What's the "on the ground" difference between what these two would accomplish?

I am thinking that a tube something between my bass and my head to warm things up, maybe add some note clarity? It seems that a lot of heads have a tube in the preamp to wwarm things up.

I play blues, reggae, old r &B. One's a preamp, one's a compressor...what's the difference here as far as achieving what I'm after?

Dumb question probably>

2. DrakeWeiss

DrakeWeiss

May 14, 2012
    Wisconsin
    I have an Ampeg PF800 and a Hartke Kilo (3-12ax7wa tubes). Both units have standard compressors. Recently, I picked up the EHX Black Finger. The reason I got another compressor is cause this one has a squash compression effect which seems to add some mass/thickness to the higher notes. It didn't take long to dial in some solid settings, and it sounded great on both amps. Trying different tubes in the pedal can make a nice noticeable difference. This pedal helped balance the output of each bass string. Before, my "A" 2nd string always sounded weaker than the others... not anymore. The Electro-Harmonix BF is a great pedal. I would like to try the LPB 2ube pedal, but I probably wouldn't have a use for it unless it really did something spectacular. My Kilo has overdrive, which is a great sound when dialed in correctly. I also have a distortion/fuzz pedal to give it some serious sizzle. The LPB 2ube has some cool features, but I doubt I need them. I needed the EHX-BF though!