Black Finger vs. Compulator vs. Punch Factory

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tmu, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Aphex Punch Factory

19 vote(s)
  2. Demeter Compulator

18 vote(s)
  3. EHX Black Finger

9 vote(s)
  1. tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    A followup on the last compressor thread, is there any consensus regarding the best compressor out of these three. The Bass Player review of the latter two is quite ambivalent.

Thanks for your comments.
  2. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    haven't tried the compulator, but i'd pick the punch factory over the black finger.
  3. tmu

Mar 14, 2004
    why is thaT?
  4. i voted for the Punch Factory.
    good price and easy to use.
  5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I use the Compulator. It is the best compressor I have ever used.
  6. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Punch Factory is very transparent. The Blackfinger, however, is not. Don't get me wrong, the Blackfinger is a nice compressor. It does add lots of colour though. I did find it picked up electrical noise very easily, so it's not the quietest compressor. Plus, it's twice the size of any other pedal, plus, you have to use their own AC adaptor.
  7. Mr.Ben

Jan 16, 2001
    Long Beach
    I can't comment on the Demeter but I've had the preamp which sounded "pristine" so I imagine the compulator would as well. Had the Punch Factory which I got a good deal on. While it definitely provided punch it also felt very dry and a little harsh. Plugging into the Black Finger was like night and day, very warm and smooth and slightly noisier but what an improvement in tone. It has more tonal options with the lamp and led settings and adds weight to your notes in a way the punch factory did not. It sounds better in a a vintage tube compressor should. Think of it as a photograph~ both compressers balance out the colors but the Black Finger is warmer, more saturated, and brings out the right details without the grain.:)
  8. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I had the Black Finger and have to say it was the most beautiful sounding compressor I ever heard...with beautiful 2 tubes bell like clarity..........WHEN IT WORKED RIGHT:mad:

Gave up on it..

Had a punch factory,Great fat sound but would distort too easily...

Trying a Diamond compressor at the moment...sounds pretty good.

I also didn't like the crazy power supply wallwart with the Blackfinger....which had to be used:crying:
  9. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada

Cheap, easy to use (w/ the LEDs and all), transparent.
    It's especially good if you just want a little compression.

It's the only pedal I find I'm missing, going multi and all. Mostly cus the LA-2A (?) model on the PODxt is good, but doesn't give visual feedback. I'm getting better at using it though...
  10. I voted punch factory. I havn't used the others.... But... The punch factory is reasonably priced, transparent sounding, has nice features and has satisfied me enough to not bother looking at other compressors :)
  11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Reminds me of this post I read over at
    ...I really wanted to try the Black Finger, but between that post, and my disappointment with the noise level of the White Finger, I don't think I'll be going there any time soon. :meh:
  12. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    The Demeter is a great compressor- real top stuff shelf just like everything else James Demeter makes.

Really, it all depends on how you want to use it.

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I own the Aphex but voted for the Demeter. I think the Demeter is overall a better compressor. I found the Aphex to have the best bang for the buck
  14. I used to have the Aphex, and I currently use the Demeter. The Demeter gets my vote, but the Aphex wasn't bad. The Demeter is just more transparent and doesn't have an adverse effect on your tone (unless it's at extreme settings).
  15. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Out of those three, I've only had the Aphex. I have no complaints about it, it's transparent and does its job well. I ended up selling it because I just don't use compression that much.
  16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Couldn't vote as I've only tried the PF. Can't say that I like the sound of the BF if there is that much color in it.

Right now an old dbx 166 is rocking my boat. I have yet to hear a stompbox compressor that will keep up with a good rack mount unit as far as transparency and smoothness go.