1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Black finishes...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alfredpunkjazz, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Hey guys, I want to know your opinion about black finishes, I mean, what would be better, Nitro? Poly? what?

The thing is, I want to refinish my MIM jazz bass on a sexy shiny black colour (and get a nice maple neck). Part of a long upgrade session I will have with this bass. And I know that at the end of the day I could be spendin a lot of money (not a big problem), but it is just that I love this bass, and it is near to impossible for me to sell it.

So, what do you consider when doing a refinish job?

I want the best black finish a bass has ever had.

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Here's basically what I know/heard. Nitro can look more beautiful but is not as durable as Poly.

3. That is something I have bee thinking a lot lately. But I have this weird idea that it really makes senze in other colours, like sunburst, red, blu, stuff like that... but black????

4. nobody?

5. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    I have an Alembic that's black poly. It may be tougher than nitro but, as far as I know, you can't fix the scratches that inevitably get on there. With nitro those little tiny scratches can be fixed.

Black poly finish + 22 years of gigs:

Spoiler2Body.

6. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Black Poly

[​IMG]

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's finished in polyester right now, might as well finish it in polyurethane. Less of a plasticky finish, but still a lot sturdier than nitro.

8. safebuster

safebuster

Sep 5, 2000
    NY, NY
    i have one finished in Black Krylon truck bed liner .... really! it never scratches you never get fingerprints on it the sound of the bass is amazing here's a pic

Attached Files:

9. that's something new, thanks!

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've come to appreciate poly finishes recently. Or at least, I can understand why most companies switched to it. It does minimize a few problems that nitro finishes have, like checking and chipping away. Nitro looks and feels great when everything's new, but get a few years road-time with it and can look pretty beat, whereas a poly finish will look and hold together better.

11. LOL, wasn't that supposed to be vintage and mojo'ed?

The thing is... I have yet to see a good aged black bass or guitar... In my opinion, it's better to have them always shiny. Now, if you're talking about other colours, well, that makes a difference.

12. i want one.....

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't know...I think a beaten-up black finish looks good on Fenders. My 79's got some wear but it's still shiny for the most part.