Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Black Flag and it's children and relatives

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by page, Jan 21, 2006.

1. I bought Black Flag's Debut "Damaged" in August and I friggin love it. Greg Ginn and Chuck Whashisname are awesome and Henry is crazy! I've been meaning to check out more by them , but I was kinda put off by the Allmusic.com ratings and reviews . They don't like the other stuff and they don't describe them very well. But I need more. What do you guys suggest I get next? Please give description!

Also what are the essential side projects and related bands to check out? I haven't ever listened to Rollins band , other than a cover of Four Sticks, but I think they are pretty popular. What else is there? Any more Greg Ginn stuff or Chuck Dukowski? Please give descriptions.

Thanks alot guys.

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    One of my favorite bands of all time! I could talk for hours about this band. Few bands in history can match their intensity and dedication. Glad to see your into them.

Damaged is actually not Their debut album as a band, but their 1st album w/ Henry Rollins singing. They had 3 different singers before him...which imo, each brought something great to the band. The first singer was Keith Morris, better know for fronting the Circle Jerks. He can be heard on the "Nervous Breakdown" EP or the "Everything Went Black" compilation which features the 1st 3 era's of Flag befor Rollins. After Morris left Flag to do Circle Jerks, he was replaced by Ron "Chavo" Reyes who can be heard on the "Jealous Again" EP and also on the comp I mentioned before. Chavo left after a few months to be relaced by Dez Cedena, a fan and scenster at the time. He recorded on the "Six Pack" EP but decided to move to 2nd guitar cause he was having vocal problems.

Thats when Rollins came into the picture. He was singing for SOA at the time when one of the Flag guys got a hold of him and had him come to NY when they were there to try out. They offered him the spot...and he joined.

Check out the "Early Years" and "Everything Went Black" compilations to hear all the EPs from the 1st 3 singers. For Rollins, I think he got better as time went on my favorite being the "My War" album.

http://www.ipass.net/jthrush/rollflag.htm This link has some good info on their history and discography.

Also theres 2 books I highly, higly reccomend: "Get in the Van" written by Rollins about his time w/ Blag Flag on tour. This book is crazy. I can't believe what this band went through, and put up with on tour to play their music. Also "American Hardcore" by Steven Blush has a great chapter on Black Flag, as well as tons of info on the birth of the american HC scene.

Probably more info than you wanted, but I get super psyched about this band. :bassist:

3. Thank you all. 43 No problem with the long post, the longer the better. If you can tell me more, please do .

SMASH I already dig Bad Brains and I've been meaning to get into the Minutemen. I'll check out Husker Du as well.

Before I saw this thread today, I bought Family Man on a whim. I like it alot. It's different from Damaged, but still good. The spoken word parts are cool, though I'm afraid they may get old. The instrumental half is very badass. Kinda like if Rush and Bad Brains had a baby.

I'll also have to check out Rollins band. Any other solo projects from the group good?

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Wise-ass comment: giving two ^&*(s about CD ratings kinda shoots the whole prospect of listening to Black Flag right in the foot!

I saw them with Morris once, and Rollins once, then saw the Circle Jerks with Morris in a full leg cast, still rocking the most. Ahhh... I can still smell the weed and jolt cola on my bandages...

5. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Oddly enough, there was a branch of the Black Flag family tree called DC-3 with Dez Cadena, doing music more in the vein of vintage Deep Purple and Uriah Heep!

6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    DC3 is pretty cool. I forgot all about that band.

Also, If you like the instrumental Flag stuff on Family Man, check out the instumental album "The Process of Weeding Out."

7. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Louie Louie on the King Louie album. Don't know them , but it is a cool version.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

8. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I think there was another offshoot of BF called GONE.

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Add Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables to the list. My favorite album from that era of hardcore/punk.