1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Black frets?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OptimusPrime, Oct 1, 2008.

1. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I've wanted black frets for a long time. It's time to rewire my bass, replace some rusty screws and give it a good cleaning. I'm considering taping off my neck and spray painting my frets black. I just think that it might look ridiculous. After a while it would just wear away from the strings hitting it all the time, so there's no real risk. Good idea? Bad idea?

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I dunno about painting them - they'd chip rather quickly I'd imagine...maybe some sort of heavy-duty steel dye or something?

3. Why stop at the frets? Just paint the whole thing black. Fingerboard, body, headstock, the works. And get black tuners and knobs and a bridge. You'll have the Spinal Tap bass - "none more blacker"! :D

4. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I don't want to have to remove them. I was just thinking that this could be a quick little thing to do. Ans if it all chips off in a month, I could redo it when I changed my strings. 10 minutes of work and a day to dry. No big deal.

Here's what it might look like.

[​IMG]

5. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I think spray paint would last an hour tops.

6. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Because I like my bass. I just want to spice it up a little more.

7. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I would last longer than that. A few coats of the stuff is pretty tough.

8. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Paint wouldn't last and the only proper black frets, which are very new, are also very expensive and hard to make.

In fact there was a thread about this a couple of moths ago. I'd suggest a search.

9. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

Try gun "blue" liquid for firearms. It's a solution to cheaply "blue" a gun or touch up one in need. Most of them actually dry black and it would last much longer. No gloss w/o buffing though. It would have to be applied with a brush or thin applicator. Experiment on something made from the same metal first to test the final outcome.

10. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I'd worry about it seeping through the tape and staining my fretboard.

11. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I've wanted them for over 3 years easy. I don't want to remove or add anything. Just looking for a cheap way to unique-ify my bass.

12. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    If your gonna paint, rustoleum ftw

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    You might want to look into enamel paint. Spraypaint will come off really quickly.

14. Carefully take out all the frets and with a plumbers torch (simple torch purchased at any Home Depot), blacken the fret by flaming them polish with 0000 steel wool and repeat until desired color is obtained. Remeber that you are not looking at getting the frets red hot just discolored.

Note: I've never tried this myself but, feel it would last much longer than a paint job. Paint I give a couple of songs and its gone.

15. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    You might check with your local jewelry store. It was a fad in the 90's to plate parts of men's jewelry with black rhodium. Expensive stuff, but if a local jeweler still has some you could remove your frets, have them plated, and it would last a lot longer than any paint.

16. davec

davec Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    if you remove the frets you could powder coat them...... I really don't think its a good idea though. If it were viable someone would have already done it

17. Good call.

18. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    coatings wouldn't hold up under most round wound play--search this. Some serious engineering types weighed in on last thread.

19. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    spraypaint will litterally last you 20 minutes of playing..

20. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    You can get black delrin frets, I dunno how long they last though, I know one TBer has them.