Black Friday Deals?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Nov 26, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I had never done this before, so I was excited about it this morning. I left the house with my dad and brother-in-law at midnight. I didn't find any once in a lifetime deals this morning, but I did save some money on things I wanted to buy anyway. It was also fun to be all up in these stores at five in the morning, and then being caught up in the rush of people and trying to find parking spots. I'm pretty mellow, but I came across some seriously stressed out people this morning.

I also realized that a person needs to factor in the value of their own time as they camp outside all night hoping to save a couple hundred bucks on a laptop. As an example, my brother-in-law camped out for five hours at WalMart to score the $400 laptop. Dell had one online with a Pentium processor and twice the RAM for $150 more. I opted to buy that one. I have to wait three weeks for mine. I used the one my brother-in-law got to try it out. Very nice laptop for $400, fast too.

I did get some blankets at Mervyns, some neato electronics at Linens N Things, and some really nice button up shirts at Penney's. OK......who else scored some deals today?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    My wife and I got to BestBuy at 4:30 thinking there'd be a few people ahead of us when they opened at five. Turned out to be several hundred people waiting in a line around the building. Needless to say, we didn't get the Toshiba laptop for $376...they apparently only had 15 and sold them in two minutes. Got a few video games for a good deal though- $30 for the new X-Men game, $10 for Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and only $5 for True Crime: Streets of L.A. We got a few DVD TV series like The Shield for really cheap as well.

We managed to get the last Audiovox 5-disc DVD play with about five or six speakers at Target for only $84.

Wal-Mart was sold out of those laptops you mentioned right away as well, apparently. A guy near me asked for one at like 8am and seemed furious that they had sold out...he asked to speak with the manager. Some people don't comprehend the whole "while supplies last" concept.
  3. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

My friends and I got in line for Best Buy at 1:00 am and I couldn't believe the crowd that was already there wrapped around the building. We're not completely insane though. We were also filming a project for school about the consumerism of American society. We interviewed two brothers on camera who were the first two in line and said they waited outside since 3 PM the previous afternoon. We got some other good footage of the lines and more interviews with people in line and the store manager.

I also picked up a 1 GB USB flash drive for $40 (and after I get my rebate it will only be $20) and a few movies for $5 each. I was mainly there for the filming though.
  4. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Years ago I went out on Black Friday for some of the deals. The people I encountered made one thing clear to me. I don't need ANYHING that bad, and if I do I'm willing to pay normal price for it. I don't care if they are selling a brand new Lexus for $75 (OK, maybe a Porsche, but not a Lexus), it's just not worth it to me.
  5. What are ye talking about?
  6. Black Friday is the official first shopping day of Christmas. Supposedly the second most busiest shopping day of the year, the first being the day before Christmas. Black Friday is the nick name it got somehow, This is the first year I have heard it called that.

Personally, I won't even venture off anywhere near a retail outlet on this weekend. The people are just crazy and hard to deal with, especially the women.

One thing I found comical, on Thanksgiving day after we all ate our meals and started to relaxed, the woman would all gather with all the sales flyers from all the stores in town and plan their shopping spree. It rivaled a military operation that Norman Schwarzkopf would envy.
  7. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Indeed. Even going to the grocery store will be a bigger chore than usual.
  8. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Black Friday got it's name from financial lingo. It referrs to the fact (in many cases no longer relevant) that, in the U.S, for the first time in the calendar year, retail corporations balance sheets move into the "black", or become profitable on the Friday after Thanksgiving. This is due to the huge volume of retail purchases made on that day.
  9. Cool, cheers. We got nowt like that here. Or at least, if we have, we haven't copped on to it yet. I'll check next year. :)
  10. azsfcsh

May 31, 2005
    Gilbert Arizona
    I didnt even know what "black friday" was untill this year... but i didnt go for anything, didnt have the money anyway. However my dad did get some stuff... He left at 11pm on thursday and waited in line at circut city which opened at 5am on friday.. He got a 52" hdtv for $800, and then went to Fry's Electronics and got a few 80gb hard drives for $50, but have a $50 mail in rebate, so pretty much free hard drives... I can see why you would buy the hard drives, but the TV..??.. We dont have a need for it, we have enogh tv's as it is. We have like two 36" tv's though one should be a 28" but sears messed up and shipped us a 36", and a few smaller tv's. Seems like there is a tv in every room, but i dont even watch tv, and there is one in my room... Oh well, guess it goes in the family that we are all impulsive buyers...
  11. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I bought two CDs on sale, and a speaker for my radio scanner.

12. Oh, don't wish that upon yourself. You will regret it.

Besides, one of the requirements is not being able to drive five miles without running into some kind of a shopping mall. Big huge shopping malls that have hundreds of shops in one building, all of corporate America's biggest retailers. When there is finely enough of them and all the privately owned shops are out of business, you may join the club and turn Christmas into the capitalist haven we have created.

Yes, for the most part that was meant to be a joke, but the hustle from black Friday to Christmas is enough to suck the life out of old Saint Nick.

Thanks, now that you mention it, I have heard it before. Wasn't it in reference to the fall of the stock market in the 1930-1940's

Apparently, "Black Friday" means different things to different countries.
  13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  14. I went to Guitar Center and walked away with...

-Roadrunner bass gigbag (the more expensive one)
    -A Big Muff
    -$20 warranty for Muff(which I didnt ask for :mad: :spit: )
    -Power supply for the muff
    -Pack of DR High Beams
    -One input jack
    -One 3 way switch

...All for 180 bucks. It would have been $160 but the guy added the warranty for the muff when I swear I said no :spit: . Oh well, It's probably for the best. If I werent a rgular and there was no sale, I probably would have spent a littel over $200. Overall im happy.
  15. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I went to the grocery store and a book store today and both were pretty empty. More empty than a regular day, in fact. I was kind of hesitant to go out to any store this weekend, but all of the whackos must've gotten their shopping fill yesterday.
  16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I went back to a few stores late Saturday evening, and found some more bargains. It was really fun. I'll probably do it again next year.

People were rude, I got cut off in the parking lot, people stepped in front of me in line, people pushed me aside as they walked through stores, but who cares. I was enjoying myself walking around watching everyone. I like to people watch. It's only going to get better as Christmas gets closer. Nerves will become more frayed, the grouchy will get grouchier, the anxious will blow fuses, the mad will cuss louder......I'll just sit back and laugh the whole time with my peppermint mocha.

Funny I was walking out of our local Mervyns, I noticed a lady in her car was driving next to me, following me to my car hoping to get my spot when I left. So, I decided to just walk around the parking lot. She gave up after following me for about five minutes. :D :D

17. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You should have turned around and said "Can you help me find my car?"

brad cook
  18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, that would have been a good one. I'm thinking next time, I will go to my car, get inside and fiddle around with my bags for a few minutes, and then get out and go back inside!!!

19. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's always a classic, especially if you fiddle around with an actual fiddle.

brad cook
  20. Right, well we have 5 of the type of shopping malls you described here. Yup, 5. In the whole country. So I think I can rest easy for a while.