Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"black gospel"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by David Harrell, Sep 16, 2005.

1. I've just started gigging at church again, and I really need some new ideas on the slow stuff. Any of you guys know of some good "black gospel" songs/artists I could listen too? When I say good, I'm more interested in good playing overall, not just good chops or good fill licks. Some good examples of groove in this style would be great.....

Any help is much appreciated!

2. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Check out Fred Hammond, Andrew Gouche/PraizeConnection,
    Isreal Houghten, Gary Oliver, Carmen. All of these artists have a good variety of hot Gospel and ballads.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Pick up any of the WOW Gospel series of cd's and you'll find a ton of live and studio tracks with a ton of bass!! Make sure the cd says 'Gospel' only and not Christian or Contemporary Gospel. Those are not the 'Urban' styles you're most likely looking for.

4. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Hezikiah Walker - (all of his CD's!! - he has the slammin'-est bass players!!)

John P. Key

Yolanda Adams

Byron Cage

Mississippi Mass Choir

Paul Morton

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Check out Debra Killings. She is a great singer with great songs and she is a monster bassist.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Mario -- I was looking for a recording of "Hush, Somebody's Calling My Name" the other day on a P2P program (we're doing it in vocals class) and a Hezikiah Walker recording by the name of "Somebody's Calling My Name" came up...and you're totally right. The bass playing on that tune is AWESOME, and has quite a spectacular intro.